25% Increase In Line Rental?

gd0nfn

I also disagree strongly with Manx Telecoms forced induction of new charges and going D/D. Well I for one will continue to pay cash rather than have to rely on the banks and MT to get the bills correct.

Another thing! What about the promised level of service under their service agreement.

The internet connection lately has been very sporadic and certainly not delivering anything like the speeds promised.

Because of the amount of times that I have had little or NO connection I have started to log times and dates, this seems to be the only way they will address the problem.

Why could we not use the MEA lines for the internet(After all, we are having to pay for their loan) and then we could use another service provider for mobiles! Who needs land lines!! Perhaps Manx Telecom would then consider their customers in a different manner.

Ok thats my rant over as well.

Apologies for going a little

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which MEA lines? If you mean the fibre network and stuff on-island, pretty sure they don't have wayleaves for internet services over it (and be pretty expensive to obtain them). Over the power lines will never happen.. and the MEA can't force-purchase land for commercial purposes.

Another thing! What about the promised level of service under their service agreement.

The internet connection lately has been very sporadic and certainly not delivering anything like the speeds promised.

Because of the amount of times that I have had little or NO connection I have started to log times and dates, this seems to be the only way they will address the problem.

If it isn't working then report it as a fault. The engineers are there to help you get it sorted. And as I've posted before on this forum they are very helpful.

I thought that the MEA already had the fibre optic lines in place and only had to commission them for internet purposes!!

As for reporting the fault regards poor and sometimes no internet connection! To date I have reported 5 - 6 incidents

and indeed the staff were very helpful and have swapped my connection onto another card in the exchange which has

helped but the download speed is very intermitent and nothing like promised.

I thought that the MEA already had the fibre optic lines in place and only had to commission them for internet purposes!!

As for reporting the fault regards poor and sometimes no internet connection! To date I have reported 5 - 6 incidents

and indeed the staff were very helpful and have swapped my connection onto another card in the exchange which has

helped but the download speed is very intermitent and nothing like promised.

What were you promised? Here states 'Up to 2Mb/s connection speed', it's no guarantee of full speed.

If it isn't working then report it as a fault. The engineers are there to help you get it sorted. And as I've posted before on this forum they are very helpful.

waste of time, they word it as 'upto' whatever meg, not a speciffic meg so even if your connection is only half a meg, it falls in the category of 'upto'. they don't actually have the infrastructure to give the bandwidth to allow the max claimed meg available to everyone. the more people online, the slower your connection as you are sharing lines. IF you want to shell out megga bucks for a fixed IP?? you can have your own 8 meg connection, but ofcourse you don't want to.

waste of time, they word it as 'upto' whatever meg, not a speciffic meg so even if your connection is only half a meg, it falls in the category of 'upto'. they don't actually have the infrastructure to give the bandwidth to allow the max claimed meg available to everyone. the more people online, the slower your connection as you are sharing lines. IF you want to shell out megga bucks for a fixed IP?? you can have your own 8 meg connection, but ofcourse you don't want to.

To be fair, contention (which has only recently seemed to be a problem) is clearly stated over here. Providers with dodgy (but over there there's a lot more variation) 'up to' claims in the UK are currently being investigated by ofcom, so I suppose best you could hope for is a result in that. Fixed IP is also normally an entirely different thing, but for some reason MT use it to differentiate between their business customers and non-business (who are still under contention, but a lower 20:1).

I'm totally in favor of electronic billing but don't understand why they have chosen to implement a system which requires people to download and install a dedicated application. None of my other online accounts require a dedicated application.

Of course this option isn't open to Apple users...nothing new there then!

To save trying to get through to Manx Telecom, can anyone tell me if I have 3 fixed bills and 2 mobile bills can they all be put onto one bill but on different tariffs?

I.e. could two fixed line be on Standard Choice and one fixed line on Global Choice on the same bill?

Yes

I was very upset to receive the letter and glossy brochure which told me nothing about the services I had, 2 x ADSL, I fixed and two mobile

I rang up, lodged a complaint about the way they are doing it and how it will hit some people hard and ensured that my complaint was fully written and would be pssed on to line management and then I explained how computer illiterate I was. pointed out that the bills do not have a number on them so if you have multiple bills it is hard to know which is whic! and the lovely lady did it all for me there and then, even using her comparator and my last years billing to work out all best tarrifs for me.

The prediction is it will save me about £200 to £400 year on inter group phones and with free calls locally and cheaper UK calls and I will start using my VOIP phone more.

I'm totally in favor of electronic billing but don't understand why they have chosen to implement a system which requires people to download and install a dedicated application. None of my other online accounts require a dedicated application.

Of course this option isn't open to Apple users...nothing new there then!

I have a Mac - MT told me on the telephone that Mac users will be able to download the bills - just the same as we can already with the mobile accounts. Therefore the service actually is basically available to Mac users. We just won't be able to install the special application.

IF you want to shell out megga bucks for a fixed IP?? you can have your own 8 meg connection, but ofcourse you don't want to.

Fixed IP is free with WiManx

I don't like an increase in any bills but I can see where it comes from. The rising cost of electricity, fuel for their vehicles and inflation pay rises for their staff has to be made up from somewhere.

you'd have thought though that all the advances in technology and the introduction of a competitor would make them able to be more efficient and more competitive in their prices. Unless of course they are having to recoup losses since Sure arrived on the mobile scene.

Archived