Earnshaw Strikes Again

Jimcalagon

I haven't seen this little titbit on here...

Manx Radio - Tourism wanted to drop brochure

The DTL decided not to produce the annual Manx Holiday brochure this year but, as it seems that it generates a significant proportion of the island's holiday bookings, the Manx Hospitality representative body, had to produce the brochure itself.

Just what the fuck does the DTL do nowadays?

So little, they should rename it the Department of Twittering Lardarses.

They should close the department and outsource the function to a company that knows what it's doing, and gets paid by results IMO - and put a Tynwald-watch committee or whatever over it to monitor it. People are effectively salaried for achieving sod all at the DTL - when that money could be used to advertise the island properly.

The DTL has numerous roles; but according to the delivery plan it only spends less then £6.4 million on tourism, and it seems that about half of that goes on the TT. This is less than is spent on keeping the bus company going.

Tatlock: Clearly, since the industry body has taken over this function, it has already been effectively (if perhaps not deliberately) outsourced.

I believe that you can earn £40,000 a year as a bus driver just doing the school runs. Not bad, eh? I'm also told that it's not worth applying for the job (with its final salary pension) unless you know the right people.

Its a year waiting list, they pick about 5 every year from 400 applicants.

Then its starts from fresh the year after.

Why don't positions like this apply normal rules of supply and demand? If you have 400 applicants, reduce the wage until there's a more manageable number of applicants.

The posties is similar, and the police for that matter. Hugely desirable, large number of applicants, low turn over off staff, 'dead mens shoes' as they say. So reduce the package and you can afford more staff, or god forbid, save some money, bosh.

Why don't positions like this apply normal rules of supply and demand? If you have 400 applicants, reduce the wage until there's a more manageable number of applicants.

If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Pass me a banana.

So little, they should rename it the Department of Twittering Lardarses.

They should close the department and outsource the function to a company that knows what it's doing, and gets paid by results IMO - and put a Tynwald-watch committee or whatever over it to monitor it. People are effectively salaried for achieving sod all at the DTL - when that money could be used to advertise the island properly.

Albert - how unkind! Their service delivery plan is targeting a massive 2.8% p.a. increase in spending by vistors...that sort of monumental challenge really requires high salaries and big dollops of taxpayer money. If they achieve this they will almost be keeping pace with inflation - what more can you ask of the poor wee souls?

2.8% increasing in spending by visitors? That's less than inflation. All they need to do is get a similar number of visitors as last year.

Yup - it's a big challenge isn't it - certainly setting the bar high in an Olympic year. Actually they can probably target a smaller number than last year as I bet inflation will be higher than 2.8% this year.

It would be a good idea to link pay rises to the increase in tourist spending achieved above inflation - ie if inflation is 3% and tourist spending goes up by 5% you get 2%....might focus the mind on issues other than 21st century safety on the 19th century railway that seems to be THE BIG THING this year.

Yup - it's a big challenge isn't it - certainly setting the bar high in an Olympic year. Actually they can probably target a smaller number than last year as I bet inflation will be higher than 2.8% this year.

That's a point, have our all-powerful leaders been manouvering to have a decent 2012 Olympic team based here? The Island does have exceptional facilities. Far too good a chance to miss.

EDIT: Yes.

2.8% increasing in spending by visitors? That's less than inflation. All they need to do is get a similar number of visitors as last year.

Which, in a tourist sector that's been in decline for decades, is a pretty tough challenge I imagine.

Archived