[BBC News] Recycling scheme given go ahead

Newsbot

A kerbside recycling scheme is approved for 16,000 homes on the Isle of Man.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7461483.stm

Was quite impressed with the way Stuart was dealt with on this today on air.

'wouldn't you have been better...<insert someones slightly different idea here>.'

'Actually, we've just got to get this done'

And Stuart, yes, recycling is a bit of a faff. Far better to avoid consuming recyclables in the first place, then you reduce your faff.

Terry, you so funny (in the head as opposed to funny ha ha). John Shimmin says "We've built an EFW facillity and that has made us lazy, it has been easy for everybody to put their waste into a bin which has then gone into the mass burn," ....erm no John, you might have done but most people take their re-cycling of paper, clothes & cans to the bins by the park. We were separating our rubbish in Holland 5 years ago, the Isle of Man, backward little place innnit? A Telecoms company who do not understand about Apple Macintoshes and a government who built a furnace when the rest of the world were recycling their waste - fandabedozzze!

a government who built a furnace when the rest of the world were recycling their waste - fandabedozzze!

No, most of the rest of the world are burying their waste.

Albert, whilst the correllation between those two graphs is certainly interesting, were it not for the nature of your other posts I would assume for were joking. MSRA is acquired in hospitals, not from rubbish bins. Even if it does exist in said bins, you don't go rooting through them to recycle.

I'm still in favour of employing people to sort it all down there. I'm convinced recycling and Joe Public handling this crap is linked to the rise in MRSA etc. - bins are full of it. The UK graphs tally perfectly (previous post). Let's keep our eyes on the hospital to see if I'm right.

It's better to reduce than recycle. If you leave some of the responsibility on the consumers for dealing with their waste, they're far more likely to reduce waste to reduce the effort required in sorting it out.

This has been widely proven in other countries schemes.

MSRA is acquired in hospitals, not from rubbish bins. Even if it does exist in said bins, you don't go rooting through them to recycle.

Although if you organise it properly, you don't need to root through bins to sort rubbish - but I've seen people doing it numerous times in the UK. MRSA is just a bug, it lives in various crap and on people's skin etc. and can be passed very easily. It has to get into hospitals somehow, where it often affects the vulnerable or those with poor immunity - otherwise it would just be called NHSA or something! Cleaning hospitals helps of course - but I still suspect a correlation with the increased handling shoite.

I'm still in favour of employing people to sort it all down there. I'm convinced recycling and Joe Public handling this crap is linked to the rise in MRSA etc.

You have some fascinating ideas. You could publish a blog or something.

I'm still in favour of employing people to sort it all down there. I'm convinced recycling and Joe Public handling this crap is linked to the rise in MRSA etc. - bins are full of it. The UK graphs tally perfectly (previous post). Let's keep our eyes on the hospital to see if I'm right.

Thay have to hand sort it down there anyway as well,

Is this compulsory or can I just chuck the 2 bins in the cupboard and forget about them?

Just give it a few months and wait for them to cancel the scheme. Then you'll have two bins/containers which you can use for anything. We've still got the 'recycle bin' outside our front door since the last time they attempted it. It's been very useful for delivery of parcels etc. if we are out !!

It's saved a number of trips up to the Post Office.

Archived