Lens Flair

Amadeus

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Try pre-focusing on the spot where you know they'll jump - then wait and fire a series when they do. That's from someone who's no good whatsoever at catching the fast stuff, though - others probably have better tips :)

Cheers mate...the two other problems were that the camera was always focussing on the brambles nearby...and the lighting was a nightmare!!

Will be better prepared next time!

Cheers mate...the two other problems were that the camera was always focussing on the brambles nearby...and the lighting was a nightmare!!

I've had similar problems so it's good to see some handy hints and also to know that I'm not the only one that has to try and figure these things out.

I've had similar problems so it's good to see some handy hints and also to know that I'm not the only one that has to try and figure these things out.

Its one of those things that catches eevryone I reckon.. Some thing to remember is that in todays DSLR's the noise handling is pretty awesome so don't be affraid to bump up the ISO... If its a shot I really must catch I will push to 1000 even 1250 if it gives the required shutter speed. Sharp well exposed shots always rule over slight noise I reckon... plus a little noise ninja plug in can reduce any noise if it really bothers you.

Another handy thing is to pre focus using auto if you can then switch the lens to manual. This will lock the focus and pressing the shutter will control exposure only (just don't knock the focus ring at the front). Or if your familiar with the custom functions yuo can assign focusing to the "*" button on the back of the camera... push to focus then use the shutter release as just that.

And as a last resort.. if you can, shoot in RAW... this will give you a little room to play with if you are under exposing due to light and fast shutters. Its not ideal and is always better practice to get it right in camera before downloading images... but as above.. getting the shot is the important bit.. Using a raw convertor like Adobe Camera Raw will let you bring some of the highlights back and lose the darkness... just convert that image to Tiff or jpeg.

Hope this helps.

manual focus on the gravel in the middle of the road, turn off anything which delays the shutter release, also previews of shots taken, as that stops you taking multiple shots quickly

this shot was years ago on a 35mm slr, something like 1/60s f11, not too fast to sharpen the background blur from panning

post-1026-1239893014_thumb.jpg

Archived