Lens Flair

Amadeus

That's great! How do you get the writing so neat? Is it just done with a laser as it's next to a wall? That would seem a bit easier. I've got a few lasers so I'll have to experiment with that.

No, I don't own any filters yet, although I have ordered a decent polariser so I ought to have that imminently.

Thanks for the kind comments too.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's great! How do you get the writing so neat? Is it just done with a laser as it's next to a wall? That would seem a bit easier. I've got a few lasers so I'll have to experiment with that.

No, I don't own any filters yet, although I have ordered a decent polariser so I ought to have that imminently.

Thanks for the kind comments too.

Hi, Cret,

Yes - I just used one of those laser pointer things that will also control Powerpoint slides on a PC. The wall is the inside of my shed. The redish glow to the whole wall is the result of the long exposure needed to write the word. The slits are the ambient moonlight or light pollution (I suppose) coming through the joins in the shed wall.

I have a polariser - the results are very pronounced in all this bright sunlight - plenty of polarised light around. The clouds end up standing out against a blue sky, and reflections can be made to disappear from water. A great way of getting a wow factor if you are a rank amateur like me!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a couple I did with a laser. Much easier to achieve with a laser than a torch, but doesn't have the same impact with not being in mid air. And I suspect that the cmos sensor would not take kindly to getting a laser pointed directly at it to try it the other way. Not something I want to risk trying anyway!!!

_MG_3783.jpg

_MG_3788.jpg

And a few evening pics from a week or so back and tonight:

Fleshwick1HDR.jpg

Niarbyl7.jpg

Fleshwick5.jpg

Niarbyl5.jpg

Niarbyl8.jpg

Thanks mate.

I have a canon EOS 500D, and was using a new lens I recently treated myself to as I got a few quid unexpectedly which is a 17-55mm IS USM lens. Similar to the kit lens in focal range but that's where it ends as it uses L series glass (and price) and F2.8 all the way through. Well chuffed with it!

Also recently bought a 'Slik' tripod (bit like a manfrotto or giottos) which is superb. Previously I had a chinese ebay special £10 job and the new one is soooo much nicer/sturdier to use (although even so it couldn't keep things solid when I stomped up to the top of barrule the other night to try some pics and it was blwoing a hoolie!).

The ones at niarbyl are just long exposures basically. I had HDR'd them a little bit to get some balance of the rocks and sky, otherwise the rocks would have been totally black like the bottom pic. For some reason even though the individual shots I took looked ace in a lot of cases, they refused to combine correctly in Photomatix to give good overall exposure. I think it was trying to do 'corrections' that I didn't want.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a few from Friday night when I went opp north and located the wreckages of the 'Passages'.

I've only had a very brief chance to do anything with these so far as I've had bugger all time to do stuff with the shots this weekend, but here are some of the pics I got for what it's worth.

My favourite I think is this one:

Passages3.jpg

It's ruined by a 'rogue' cloud that looks totally like a blob of something on the lens, but it's honestly how the cloud was! Real shame.

It's a bit dark too but that's easily fixed - shouldn't actually be like that - it's sabotage on my part.

Gives you an idea though of what the wreck was like though hopefully:

Passages1.jpg

Passages15.jpg

Passages6.jpg

Last one is far too dark too! Hopefully I can come up with some nicer ones once I've had time to look at them properly.

Just out from jurby church - almost a straight line out from the land onto the shore.

If you look on Google maps you can actually see the wreck in the water but you need to know approximately where, as you won't spot it unless you're zoomed in a fair way.

I love things like this and find them incredibly fascinating. The details on its history are in the 'Shipwrecks of the Isle of Man' book. It's a very interesting book.

There was a thread on here about 2 years ago where this wreck was discussed I think.

• 3 weeks later...

Summer is brill

:)

I like that - but in my view it could be even better...

Cropping it to lose the window frame and toy tractor, erasing the yellow thing in the foreground, erasing the grey stick with the yellow end that goes behind the toy lorry and child, and erasing the grey thing against the hedge that seems to follow on from the umbrella.

Just my opinion - hope you don't mind!

Not at all, fill your boots if you want to have a go at Photoshoping/edits and I will be glad to see what you've done.

Here's mine

2rp3fp0.jpg

Oh and the grey thing on the hedge is the the brolly still.

Please please have a go though Kevster mate.

Archived