Lens Flair

Amadeus

Ha ha! I think you're absolutely right Kris! :lol:

How didn't I spot that - it's painfully obvious now! I showed it to a photographer pal and he didn't spot that either so at least it's not just me. :blush:

Was weird though - I didn't think it could be actual sun flare etc as it was way too big compared with the scale of the sun, but it did have me puzzled.

I'm blaming a stinking cold and child induced sleep deprivation for the lapse of observation..... :whistling:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Generally no I don't sharpen things unless it's a pic I really want to use that has turned out a little softer than I wanted. I was surprised the other day when my pal mentioned that adobe raw adds a bunch of sharpening by default!

Can you point me at a particular example so I can hopefully see where you mean? Am sure you're right - I don't always spot these things and my photoshop skills are relatively crude. Usually I upload the full size jpeg pics to photobucket (which has them at 1024 max I think for me) so it resizes them rather than me doing it.

Thanks though - always appreciate useful feedback, and aim to please.

Ok, lets take the lone tree for example. Rather than upload the full jpeg online, shrink the image yourself to say about 800pix wide, then do either a sharpen or 1pt unsharp mask on it (I dont use photoshop so not sure where it is or what it is called) finally save it for the web. when you upload the re-edited version, do a side by side and see what you think.

Thanks for the comments both of you.

1 & 2 are near Kewaigue, and 4 is from a field near the incinerator, looking to the south west.

5 looks to be walberry farm top left with middle farm builds bottom left...

good work by the way :-)

Cheers Bubba

Kris - I tried doing that resizing prior to uploading. The sharpen does a really nice addition to the pics, but aside from that I didn't notice any change (I'm sure I will once I do it as a habit). Much quicker of course to upload, so I'll probably do that anyway from now on. Cheers. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I like it. Did you have some sort of filter on the lense to get the star effect from the lights?

I see this is your first DSLR - what did you opt for? I have long been promising myself an upgrade and like to see what other people have decided on.

I like it. Did you have some sort of filter on the lense to get the star effect from the lights?

I see this is your first DSLR - what did you opt for? I have long been promising myself an upgrade and like to see what other people have decided on.

if you look at the image exif data it reveals a lot !

Camera: Canon EOS 500D

Lens: EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6

Shot at 35 mm

Exposure: Auto exposure, Shutter priority AE, 4 sec, f/14, ISO 100

Flash: Off, Did not fire

Focus: At 4294967295m, with a depth of field from about 18m to infinity

Date: January 9, 2011 4:35:09PM (timezone not specified)

(2 days, 12 hours, 5 minutes, 58 seconds ago, assuming an image timezone of US Pacific)

File: 853 × 1,280 JPEG (1.1 megapixels)

1,078,941 bytes (1.0 megabytes) Image compression: 67%

Color Encoding: Embedded color profile: “sRGB”

Url: http:/ / www.neckbeards.co.uk/ picturs/ castle.jpg

quite a long exposure at 4secs f14 @ iso100 must have been on tripod or wall

Archived