Lens Flair

Amadeus

Middle one = Just brill.

Ace stuff. Right place, right time.

Makes you appreciate what we have, or is that a tadge too deep?

Saw this crawling across my monitor yesterday. Bit of sellotape and on to a slide and under the microscope. Quite difficult taking a photo through a microscope viewer.

2d7gakl.jpg

I'm assuming it's a Harvest Mite

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ta very much. I don't really take any of it for granted I don't think. Probably used to but since I've got into this malarky I'm constantly seeing stuff that looks wonderful.

Makes it frustrating in some ways though too, ie

1) A lot of what I see when I look around the island, or in the sky, looks fantastic and beautiful but I realise that just because it looks pleasing to the eye, it doesn't necessarily follow that it will look good in a picture. For instance a clear blue sky on a pleasant day is lovely to look at, and relaxing, but makes for boring pictures generally.

2) A lot of what I see when I look around the island looks wonderful but I can't think how to convey that in a photo because my skills are quite limited. Practise will hopefully inprove that.

Can't be a harvest mite though in your pic. It's at least 2 inches wide on my screen! :P

Could catch though.

Cheers. What I mean though is that I'm fairly limited to big wide landscape pictures currently. Doesn't bother me that much as I love doing them and going looking for them when I have the time to, but it'd be nice to be able to expand that and do more stuff like portraits and abstracts and stuff like that.

All in good time I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Always nice to get new boots on! :)

A few from today and one from a couple of days ago:

_MG_0124_5_6_tonemapped.jpg

PoerEVullen.jpg

Maughold1.jpg

_MG_0076_7_8_tonemapped.jpg

Darkskies.jpg

There's some bits of obvious OTT HDR in there but it was just difficult to resist the lure of the dark side I'm afraid.

Always nice to get new boots on! :)

A few from today and one from a couple of days ago:

_MG_0124_5_6_tonemapped.jpg

PoerEVullen.jpg

Maughold1.jpg

_MG_0076_7_8_tonemapped.jpg

Darkskies.jpg

There's some bits of obvious OTT HDR in there but it was just difficult to resist the lure of the dark side I'm afraid.

Those are superb, a few yards from where I live as well!

I'm guessing that the pier one is a little bit shopped, when you have a moment would you mind explaining what effects you've used on that, as it's really nice.

Hi Risso

Yes the pier one is photoshopped and fairly conspicuously, as are a few of this bunch!

It's an HDR picture and not a well done one to be honest as the lighting effect is quite uneven, and overcooked in places (in particular on the colours in the nearest part of the pier and the red thing on top).

You can also see if you look at the pier legs, each set has an upper and lower horizontal beam. The lower one looks lighter and has detail but the upper ones are still dark, and it looks wrong because it's a very obvious difference. This is from combining 3 exposures to ensure that there is detail visible in the shadow areas and also detail in the highlight areas of the pic but as I say this isn't a nicely done job here.

Also, I increased the contrast and detail a little to make the clouds look more prominent. I had my polarising filter on at the time, and it was making the clouds/sky look fantastic, and there'd have been no need to tweak the sky in the photo. BUT, a polariser cuts out reflected light, and guess what a rainbow is?! So when the sky looked good, the rainbow disappeared and vice versa.

It is a bit obvious, but then HDR nearly always is. I really like the effect though.

Here's one I did of Queen's Pier

It was as grey and overcast a day as you'll ever get, but I quite like the overall sepia effect I got which other than a bit of cropping hasn't really been altered much. There are a few of my other efforts on there, which show that I'm still very much a beginner!

About 15-20 minutes a pop. Never tried them before though so it took a fair bit of trial & error, which is tricky when you can't see through the viewfinder or LCD to compose or focus! Lens kept misting up too because it was bitterly cold up there.

I had a blowtorch with me to try light painting, but I doubt my lens would have appreciated being warmed up by that somehow....

They're very good, anyway. What camera do you use by the way?

Ta very much. Canon 5D Mk2 as I'm sure you'll have seen by now already! :)

Some more from tonight hopefully coming shortly if my fingers thaw out soon....

Archived