Lens Flair

Amadeus

Back to more familiar ground today - birds. Sorry if they're not your bag.

Actually there wasn't much happening at the Point of Ayre today, so I ended up resorting to shooting at Swallows in flight - with a 500 f4 handheld and manual focus!!

I'm coming over on Monday for two weeks, if I see you up at the POA do you mind if I say hello - would love to have a quick look at the 500 f4 - have the 400 f5.6 myself being (a) poor and (b) a wimp :)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep - I can't believe you got away with staying there dude. I'd have definitely gone there if I'd thought for a second I'd be allowed. How do you get one of those photographer passes that let you get in the more dangerous spots I wonder - do you actually have to be employed by the press for instance?

Here's a few anyway - not been through them properly yet though:

*removed again temporarily as the white balance is awful!*

It's times like this when I wish I still had my 7D. Grass is always greener though eh! :rolleyes:

I know it was a really dangerous spot but better place than anyone elses! :ph34r: I was wondering that too, I think you have to be part of a paid company and then you ask the top people who run the rally as to where you are going to be? Only an assumption.

Aww can't wait to see them, I missed them before you took them down :(

Haha I want to upgrade but I can't at the moment :P

Haha I want to upgrade but I can't at the moment :P

Well I absolutely love my 5D but every time I want to do any 'action' type pics I really miss the 7D for the crop sensor zoom, the burst rate of 8FPS and the autofocus system on it. If I had the money I'd own both to have it all covered.

I'm coming over on Monday for two weeks, if I see you up at the POA do you mind if I say hello - would love to have a quick look at the 500 f4 - have the 400 f5.6 myself being (a) poor and (b) a wimp :)

No problem at all.

Bit slow getting these done sorry as it's been a busy day.

Here's what's probably my favourite so far, although this has had the background tweaked slightly.

Mk2Blur_2641c.jpg

And some more basic ones:

MK2_2601.jpg

MK2_2651.jpg

MK2_2603.jpg

911-1.jpg

Still not right on the colour but meh!

Not my cup-of-tea, but some good pics Jim.

However I must disagree with Adam, I think the 'tweaking' of the background on #1 is pretty awful and actually distracts the eye from the subject. Sorry but you can do way better. What technique did you use?

Thanks guys

I'm not too happy about the white balance on these still and the sharpness on some shots is not as good as I would like, but I'm very very much a novice when it comes to 'action' shots as it'snot something I've tried more than once or twice before. Takes practice!

Interesting polarised thoughts on that first pic though for sure. Most people I've showed it to so far (on my car related forum) love it, but I can see how from a photographer point of view why you've said that you don't like it. Doesn't look very natural.

In terms of distraction I'm not really seeing that except for the cone, which I wish I'd tried to remove now. Can't be bothered at this stage! I think that is quite distracting as it's quite prominent. I like the pic now, but that doesn't mean I still will when I look at it at a later date I guess.

All the pics were with my 70-200 F4 IS. I think even with the F2.8 version (which I'm starting to lust after) there wouldn't be a huge amount of bokeh on shots like these because of the relative distance of me/subject/background.

That pic was done with a duplicate layer to which I added a Gaussian blur, then a graduated layer mask, and then painted out the car. Even if the pic isn't to everyone's taste it's practice and experimentation I guess. :)

That pic was done with a duplicate layer to which I added a Gaussian blur, then a graduated layer mask, and then painted out the car. Even if the pic isn't to everyone's taste it's practice and experimentation I guess. :)

Sounds like the 'right' process I just think, perhaps, you were a bit heavy handed with the Gaussian blur as you can see some 'ghosting' around areas of the car - in particular the rear mudflap and front o/s tyre.

I've started using 'surface blur' a little more recently but it only works on fairly plain b/grounds like this one taken this afternoon at POA:

5699449049_903a87f92e_b.jpg

Ringed Plover080511 by CJWormwell, on Flickr

Sounds like the 'right' process I just think, perhaps, you were a bit heavy handed with the Gaussian blur as you can see some 'ghosting' around areas of the car - in particular the rear mudflap and front o/s tyre.

I've started using 'surface blur' a little more recently but it only works on fairly plain b/grounds like this one taken this afternoon at POA:

You're right about the ghosting definitely. Was hoping it wasn't that visible. That's happened because where I use the white brush to add back in bits of the graduated blur layer that I've removed by accident with the black brush, the opacity of the brush is constant, whereas the blur opacity is gradual. So it was really hard to make it match up and that's the result.

I'm certain I've not had that problem in the past so I'm sure I just did it wrong.

Here's a couple of pics from last week (don't think I posted them already. Sorry if I did).

5680879163_827d21b621_b.jpg

5681518572_194e749ae6_b.jpg

Great picture!

How do you use "surface blur"?

Archived