Lens Flair

Amadeus

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so who of you had milk at school out of bottles like this, with cardboard tops you poked your straw through (if I remember that far back !)

and had jam from Rushen Abbey ?

and Brylcream out of bottles like this one ?

Yes and Yes, but the Brylcreem (note spelling!) was in a more squat glass jar in my day - I think it was oval shaped with a black lid?

What about cardboard ice-cream tubs or chips wrapped in newspaper (6d)and walking to school in all weathers? - no I didn't wear clogs before you ask! (Oh and stuff in Kilner jars....)

so who of you had milk at school out of bottles like this, with cardboard tops you poked your straw through (if I remember that far back !)

Yes and Yes, but the Brylcreem (note spelling!) was in a more squat glass jar in my day - I think it was oval shaped with a black lid?

What about cardboard ice-cream tubs or chips wrapped in newspaper (6d)and walking to school in all weathers? - no I didn't wear clogs before you ask! (Oh and stuff in Kilner jars....)

thanks for that, yes it is Brylcreem, it has a 1/8th turn twist lid on it. I was pretty sure the bottle was the school milk size, just checked it and 3 fills comes to exactly 1pint. I am happy that the label on the jam jar is complete, even after a careful wash (I only came across these 3 items today).

thanks for that, yes it is Brylcreem, it has a 1/8th turn twist lid on it. I was pretty sure the bottle was the school milk size, just checked it and 3 fills comes to exactly 1pint. I am happy that the label on the jam jar is complete, even after a careful wash (I only came across these 3 items today).

Any idea what era the Brylcreem is from? Like I say, I remember them as smaller - unless it's the old brain cells failing (!) I'm talking about the early sixties when I had enough hair to warrant putting something on it...

Any idea what era the Brylcreem is from? Like I say, I remember them as smaller - unless it's the old brain cells failing (!) I'm talking about the early sixties when I had enough hair to warrant putting something on it...

not sure, but the paper in the bottom of the tea chest was 1946 !

and there was a booklet with an item about 'how to build an air raid shelter'

not sure, but the paper in the bottom of the tea chest was 1946 !

and there was a booklet with an item about 'how to build an air raid shelter'

An Anderson shelter no doubt? I used to play in one as a child when visiting an uncle in the UK who had one in his garden. I don't know if any were ever built on the Island - I've never seen one though plenty of other types were built here. Some of the ones at Jurby Airfield have only just been filled in this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Still haven't found much time to have a proper look around but will try again sunday, the only day where the traffic is slightly less mental here. Found a good driver now - if the rain holds off, it might just finally result in some pics...

Manila106.jpg

Finally managed to venture outside Metro Manila, just about... If there was no traffic, it'd probably take about 20 minutes to get there. With reduced traffic on sunday, it took 90. Not even gonna try during the week...

These were taken from Antipolo, about 20 miles east of Makati (the skyscrapers sort-of in the middle there) - there's something really dark and intimidating about this place but I'm starting to really like that...

Cityscape02.jpg

Cityscape10.jpg

Cityscape13.jpg

Cityscape14.jpg

Archived