[BBC News] Manx to stage 'green' Grand Prix

Newsbot

there was a letter in the examiner ages ago from someone thinking the TT should go electric. looks like it could be on the way. some one has electrified what looks like an ariel atom, it out drags ( with ease ) 400grand supercars. electric is by far more powerful and tractable, it is just carrying the batteries that is the issue. perhaps the new post office van will win?? :D

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problems are going to be in finding riders willing to compete in a one-lap race, and with homologation. It can be close on the road at one lap, and very difficult to determine how much of an advantage/handicap the technology is going to be from machine to machine. Riders will have to risk their lives in practices and in the race.

Isn't this basically another parade lap, rather than a race? Is the PR stunt worth the potential loss of human life

?

So, normal batteries and engines and stuff then? :rolleyes:

From the way I read it, that was just one class. Great idea this, I recon.

Ahh - maybe it is then. It's a step in the right direction for improving this sort of technology I suppose. Competition (or war) tends to advance stuff like this.

So, normal batteries and engines and stuff then? :rolleyes:

that still allows lipo batteries and 3 phase electric motors, look on youtube for electric go-karts and the likes i think one on there is running over 1000 volts :o and hauls ass

Aye. I just meant the old chestnut of just using normal electric means like this isn't especially green as it still has to be charged from fossil fuel generated electricity surely. It would be better if it's helping advances in stuff like solar electricity, or space power. Or something.

I'm sure there'll be some element of that anyway.

And if hardly anyone turns and enters the first event ... well they need to keep at it.

I wouldn' be too surprised if there is a poor show for the first one - most of the larger company's have sorted out their 2008/9 budgets by now - but I would hope for a much better response for 2010.

IMO, this year we need to get people like Dick Strawbridge (Scrapheap challenge/Not easy going Green etc.) involved and onboard - making a prgramme about putting such a machine together. If he can get a bike to run on pig sh1t perhaps he can call it 'Slop Gear'.

_

IMO, this year we need to get people like Dick Strawbridge (Scrapheap challenge/Not easy going Green etc.) involved and onboard - making a prgramme about putting such a machine together. If he can get a bike to run on pig sh1t perhaps he can call it 'Slop Gear'._

Absolutely - it would be great if they could get someone like him involved in the TV side of things. I really can imagine this event having far more TV viewers than the existing races. The machines and teams are likely to be much more interesting and varied. It has far more TV potential. The current races, as broadcast on TV currently, are sometimes a bit like watching fast traffic.

I hope any deals to broadcast these new initiatives won't get bogged down in old fashioned restrictive TV rights stuff. By which I mean - I hope that the organizers will encourage something like a free for all - rather than restricting the rights. It was counter productive IMO a couple of years ago when people reported that they had apparently been threatened with legal action for posting TT footage on YouTube etc.

It should be about encouraging as much varied publicity as possible - rather than trying to restrict valuable free publicity.

The problems are going to be in finding riders willing to compete in a one-lap race, and with homologation. It can be close on the road at one lap, and very difficult to determine how much of an advantage/handicap the technology is going to be from machine to machine. Riders will have to risk their lives in practices and in the race.

Isn't this basically another parade lap, rather than a race? Is the PR stunt worth the potential loss of human life

?

Don't riders in the current event risk their lives in practices & the race?

If 'classes' can be distinguished from the different types of machine entered, so that similiar technologies would be competing against each other - then that should give a better balanced event.

How to distinguish the different types would obviously be a bit of a learning curve if events like this have not been run before - I'm sure we could all pick it up & run with it.

IMHO I think it's a brilliant idea.

What a fantastic idea, only Ludites will speak against it, for once someone has forward vision to start a new section of road racing for when fossil fuels become scarce. Some of the bikes I have seen so far can do fairly well, they can only get better. http://www.davidpitlyuk.com/2007/06/08/an-...-r1-motorcycle/

What an idea! - promoting environmentally positive practice has a goal of preserving life on the planet.

How bizarre that the TT organisers come up with this when the event itself causes the odd death now and again?

You have got to hand it to them, they certainly know how to grab the attention of us all.

Absolute genius.

What an idea! - promoting environmentally positive practice has a goal of preserving life on the planet.

How bizarre that the TT organisers come up with this when the event itself causes the odd death now and again?

You have got to hand it to them, they certainly know how to grab the attention of us all.

Absolute genius.

The only question is whether or not they have the nous to grab the attention of the international community.

Something like this deserves thoroughly professional promotion - I just hope the DTL, or the organisers, are up to the task.

Ace. Personally - I just suddenly got a whole lot more interested in the TT.

Same

Over the years the TT has seen quite a number of 'firsts' in engine and technology development. The first international motor race was held on the Isle of Man in 1905 with cars setting off from Alexander Drive on a 52 mile course. That all led to the Gordon Bennett car trials, to motorbikes, to what we have now.

One of the things that have been been lacking over the past decades of the TT are new challenges such as this, and there are probably other such challenges if more people get their heads together to think of them. For instance, there's nothing stopping the TT going back (in part) to cars, and having an environmental distance/endurance races, obviously with certain class speed restrictions given the narrowness of roads and location of spectators e.g. under 70/90mph. Manufacturers driving a vehicle around a test track is one thing, gaining international press when they perform on roads in an endurance 'race' against each other is quite another IMO - and such events can start to drive technology, much as they did between 1905 and 1970.

Sounds like a lot of excuses for jollies though e.g. JS 'coming up with the idea in the far east' jointly with someone who had a brainwave in his back garden in Onchan or wherever. No doubt lots of trips will be being planned? Haven't people heard of writing - a mass mail out with a glossy, challenging all manufacturers would be more efficient spending IMO.

Archived