Original Tt Course?

Pat Ayres

After the straightening of Windy corner and the one before Hillberry (sorry can't remember the name) they are now taking out the curb in Ramsey, outside the old sweetshop. While I recognise this could be a safety thing it was always exciting watching the bikes and sidecars clipping the curb and getting a little wobble on. Is this sanitising of the course ever going to end?

the mountain circuit is not the original course anyway, but that aside, aswell as windy and brandish, they have taken many of the bumps out of sulby straight and also quarry bends had a makeover a while back. it could also be the case that bradden bridge has been changed too this year as the right hander out is a bit wider ( well the inside is further in a bit,but it amounts to the same). also QB got modded too ages ago. i'm sure there are other tweaks elsewhere aswell, even the relaying of the tram lines at the bungalow took out some of the bumps there too. they also changed brandywell by removing the vertical bank and sloping it back allowing a tighter line at angles of lean and better visibillity.

It will be for safety reasons and I'm sure there would have been many small kerbs and pavements altered over the years.

Problem is that there is a drain cover right on that spot, on the pavement at the mo but will be right on the bend when altered. I only hope they will move the cover as well or it will be more dangerous than ever, bike riders will know what I mean.

Ballig Bridge used to be a humpack bridge, Quarry Bends are completely different to when first used, and of course the whole course is now tarmac instead of gravel, and no gates to shut after you either :D

It will be for safety reasons and I'm sure there would have been many small kerbs and pavements altered over the years.

It's more likely to enable traffic to get past vehicles waiting to turn right into Brookfield, that is also the reason for taking the kerb back outside the town hall.

The metal lid there looks like a big telecom one, and would be slipperly for racing bikes, the movement of the kerb will make a difference to the bikes.

I would say there's nothing left. Just resurfacing the roads over the years would have changed things. Every year there must have been something different. There used to be gates on the mountain section that the riders had to open and close again. The TT course has evolved over the years and will no doubt keep doing so until the racing stops.

Archived