Archaeological Finds At Ronaldsway

Jimcalagon

I haven't seen this mentioned on here - I found it interesting...

Energy FM - 'Significant' archaeological discovery at Ronaldsway Airport

- I'll copy in the full text as the story might disapper due to the horribly transitory nature of story URLs of Energy FM's News pages...

'Significant' archaeological discovery at Ronaldsway Airport

Airport bosses say a significant archaeological discovery at Ronaldsway's unlikely to delay the runway extension project.

A human skull, tools and the remains of a rectangular building, thought to be around 5 thousand years old have been unearthed within metres of the proposed taxiway.

The Neolithic remains also include mortuary objects, cairns and pottery.

Archaeologists from Oxford University, who were already working on site are now examining the items.

It's thought this process will take until the end of July to complete.

Experts say the excavation's not only of national interest to the Isle of Man, but of European significance.

Airport staff have been working with the team of Archaeologists to ensure the investigations run smoothly and construction work can continue.

Work on the runway extension got underway in May, and the scheme should be finished by December 2009.

The Airport Director will be talking about it at length on Mandate (Manx Radio FM) tomorrow morning.

And I'm a baddie again - but I think I got away with it...

A PREHISTORIC human skull dating back 5,000 years together with remains relating to a Neolithic house have been discovered during works on the runway extension project at Ronaldsway.

Experts from Oxford Archaeology called in to carry out the excavation have described the finds as being of 'national and possibly European significance'.

...pfft.. all those people opposed to the runway extension... !

A human skull, tools and the remains of a rectangular building, thought to be around 5 thousand years old have been unearthed within metres of the proposed taxiway.

The building is probably an old terminal. Chances are that he/she died there waiting for a flight to turn up.

....a number of items have already been discovered; most significantly two human skulls, which are extremely rare to find here.

Archaeologists think one of these could still be attached to the full skeleton of someone buried there....

Now they've found the hand luggage and boarding card clutched in the skeleton's hands!

The building is probably an old terminal. Chances are that he/she died there waiting for a flight to turn up.

The current photo-fit suggests 'he' had more to do with Neanderthal steam racket operations.

post-2251-1214564014_thumb.png

Obviously of significant interest "Airport director Ann Reynolds said the "fascinating find" would have a minimal impact on the runway schedule." Is this short for saying we're going to cover it up before we find anything that might stop us spending all that money?

Archived