An Island Covered In Wind Turbines?

Cronky

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, it had to happen I suppose, a local politician gets on the wind turbine band wagon:

Wind power must be progressed

Oil price crisis excepted, personally I can't stand the things. Noisy, unsightly and they will produce bugger all during a winter anti cyclone.

Let the debate begin . . .

Great idea,

If it was a lot cheaper I'm sure the turbines could be found a home, either that or use water turbines.

Bet you wouldn't want one in your back garden . . .

So where is the electricty going to come from during the winter when we get one of those frosty calm periods and there is no wind?

I vote for a small nuclear power station. Clean, cheap and we keep warm whatever the weather.

a typical turbine (as seen in France etc) produces 3 to 6MW - possibly install 15 on the sw coast of the calf - well away from people and would supply maybe 30% of island's power need - might upset a few twitchers but then Fair isle another twitcher heaven also has a wind turbine

good idea if only a revamp from about 10+ years ago when some bods wanted turbines above the cronky voddy. ones below the skyline from normal viewing angles painted in camoflage are hardly an eyesore, even the white ones are ok in my books ( not a view person ) but like anything else the initial cost is the sting. i would quite happily have one in my garden and sell the excess electric to neighbours, but getting planning permission to dodge paying the mea's dept is not going to happen. if the goverment want to though it would be ok as it is their dept really. the catch will be getting planning past the nimby's? there was a big fuss about a radio mast out to sea off ramsey cos it could be 'seen' so a 100 foot windmill will really get the arses twitching.

Well there's one thing the mea could do, pull the switch to the power station and say "so people, what option are we going to use now?" - because it'll happen sooner or later no matter what the nimby's say

...or they could all get back on the boat in the morning

Bet you wouldn't want one in your back garden . . .

So where is the electricty going to come from during the winter when we get one of those frosty calm periods and there is no wind?

I vote for a small nuclear power station. Clean, cheap and we keep warm whatever the weather.

Of course I'd have one in my back garden, albeit on a smaller scale if it was going to save me money. There aren't many days, if any, that there isn't any breeze/wind at all on the Island.

I'm sure there are plenty of places on the Isle of Man that they could be built and if people don't like it, well tough shit. Other countries have been using wind and tidal energy very successfully for a long time and there aren't many places as suitable as an Island with plenty of wind and sound tidal currents, so lets take advantage of them.

Let's face it, as far as places go to use wind and tidal energy an Island such as ours should be setting an example and we should be one of the forerunners of this sort of technology.

Seems that it's a complete con to try and sell it back though.

I'd love to have a wind turbine and solar panels but don't have the money. I think they're a great idea.

Totally agree with Wilddog.

I'd be well chuffed if I had a wind turbine in my back garden and I knew it was powering my house. As has been mentioned, I've noticed very few days over here that are without wind.

Driving back through Dundee recently I noticed a collection of wind turbines in a fairly tight group in an area which resembled light industrial units on the outskirts of town. I was informed by my dad that it was the Michelin tyre factory and that the wind turbines there powered the whole factory.

I think that's pretty cool.

Edited to add, I've found a link to the story about the factory.

Ecotricity

Cool.

There's one on a house just along from me in Port Erin - it's seldom still as the wind really comes in off the sea here.

Makes a pleasant, strangely calming noise too I think.

I would have no problems siting a wind turbine in my back garden, I think they're quite elegant. I never heard anyone saying that Holland was blighted by windmills

I think that wind power may be missing the point though. We have the second most powerful tidal flow in the British isles flowing between the island and the Calf

An underwater turbine array across the Sound would produce power 24 hrs a day ( with a lull of 20 mins every six hrs) regardless of weather

We should lease this valuable source of energy to one of the many green energy companies and allow them to develop the infrastructure in exchange for a fixed percentage of their output, the rest could be sold to the UK via our undersea cable

Archived