Rtc By The Nunnery

Amadeus

Before anyone accuses me of chasing accidents (I know - #3 in a week...) - this is pretty close to home, so if anything, it was chasing me... Mini vs Fiesta, around 11pm - everyone looked shaken but ok. To be honest, there's been a fair share of bangs down here over the years now - this road is a race track at night... Oh, and it's an RTC now - happy?

a3.jpg

a2.jpg

RTC = Road traffic collision and RTA = road traffic accident yes? IE RTC is more than one vehicle involved and RTA = one vehicle?

I think you've been right in the way you've titled them all so far tbh but I stand to be corrected by Derek if I'm wrong. :)

RTC = Road traffic collision and RTA = road traffic accident yes? IE RTC is more than one vehicle involved and RTA = one vehicle?

I think you've been right in the way you've titled them all so far tbh but I stand to be corrected by Derek if I'm wrong. :)

The difference between an 'accident' (RTA) and a 'collision' (RTC) is purely a legal or a brain-dead PC description. 'RTC' is the current Police term for all accidents, based on lawyer-speak.

Any 'accident' is an unintentioned event, even though one party may have been reckless.

I think everything's an RTC as opposed to what it used to be, RTA. Accident seems to assume lack of intention.

That Fiesta is a police car,<edit insert IT IS MY BELIEF> the <Edit - Vehicle involved> merely came into douglas too fast/drunk and skidded into the wall.

That Fiesta is a police car, the Mini merely came into douglas too fast/drunk and skidded into the wall.

Do you have any proof that the collision was caused as a result of speeding and/or under the influence? What a stupid thing to say.

Fair point, maybe someone just drove straight in to the wall at 30mph.

That Fiesta is a police car, the Mini merely came into douglas too fast/drunk and skidded into the wall.

Do you have any proof that the collision was caused as a result of speeding and/or under the influence? What a stupid thing to say.

I call it how I see it, the skid marks lead from the nunnery into the wall, so the chances of him to have skidded in reverse when leaving douglas are relatively slim.

That bend can be taken far in excess of 30mph at ease, even in a bus, full of badgers with a mini strapped to the roof.

So what is stupid about concluding that speed and/or intoxication were involved?

Late at night, brand new vehicle (more or less) flat clean bend.

Actually, given the lenght of the skids, I am going with drunk.

I call it how I see it, the skid marks lead from the nunnery into the wall, so the chances of him to have skidded in reverse when leaving douglas are relatively slim.

That bend can be taken far in excess of 30mph at ease, even in a bus, full of badgers with a mini strapped to the roof.

So what is stupid about concluding that speed and/or intoxication were involved?

Late at night, brand new vehicle (more or less) flat clean bend.

Actually, given the lenght of the skids, I am going with drunk.

You realise the police do surface adhesion tests after accidents, that could have caused the skid marks? For all you know the driver could have momentarily lost concentration or been taking evasive action. You just never know.

Silentbob - what is stupid is that you might prejudice legal proceedings (if there are any) by stating so authoritatively the cause of this 'event' in advance of the official accident investigation findings.

For all we know you may have an axe to grind and have been involved yourself, the Mini may have had a dilithium crystal malfunction in its carbon ceramic braking system, or worse still, the driver may have a high net worth parent who uses your post, rolled up into a big stick, to beat the forum with.

To make the assumptions you've made in public is pretty reckless, however well-intentioned.

Sorry Stu, but if someone is going to post a picture of an incident, then I will always jump in and state what I think happened from the evidence on that picture. If Amadeus/Manxforums do not want these discussions to happen, then maybe they should not post the pictures.

I know the road as I have lived very close to it for 25 years, and my view that - at that time of night - for a modern car to have come off there without speed or impairment to be involved stands.

Now I find it hard to believe that the rantings of some internet forum person who is not involved or qualified (i.e a policeperson or similar) would sway ANY formal findings. IF I had been involved with either the police, witnesses or indeed the driver, then yes, I can understand your worries.

As for a networth parent beating up the forums, I have merely stated my views (albeit in a matter of fact way) on an anonymous incident involving an unidentifiable vehicle with unknown occupants. As I did on the hillberry incident thread, and many others.

Edit - Surface Adhesion tests, you might notice that the only vehicles on scene are unmarked. No such tests would have taken place at the time of those photos (in my humble opinion).

Any pics posted were for the purpose of News, as previously stated - in the same way that iomtoday posts them or anyone else (actually, only iomtoday..). I know where SB is coming from, but without knowing all the facts about the incident it's impossible to determine the cause and I agree that speculation - just like with any other incident - can get the poster in hot water. Unlikely, maybe, but previous experiences have shown that it's easier than you think, especially if you blur the line between stating an opinion and making it sound like a known fact.

As also previously stated, this road is a racetrack at night (if anyone from the RPU reads this: a little laser at that bend by the nunnery on some evenings would provide rich pickings...) with cars by far exceeding 30mph on a regular basis - in fact, I'd say the majority do 40+ down here most of the time anyway. So speed could have been a factor, substances of any kind, mechanical failure (however unlikely - I had the rear wheel on a brand new Ford block once while in full flight, so it does happen) or evasive action (plenty of pets down here, including mine, + neighbours, kids, etc) - who knows what caused it - it's not for us to speculate but for the police to find out. Personally, I don't even care what caused it tbh - we'll all be reading about it in the paper soon anyway.

Edit - Surface Adhesion tests, you might notice that the only vehicles on scene are unmarked. No such tests would have taken place at the time of those photos (in my humble opinion).

The big thing with the blue lights in the background is the Range Rover, a rather battenburgish vehicle.

Archived