[BBC News] Extra Manx jobs at global company

Newsbot

The Minister for Trade and Industry Hon David Cretney MHK said he was "delighted" with the news after staff numbers fell to less than 50 in 2004.

"I look forward to working with GE as it continues to flourish in the Isle of Man for many years to come," he said.

Typical - wanting a second job. Can't be busy enough being a Minister.

i find it ironic that the light bulb invented by Thomas Edison the GE.founder is being fazed out by congress by the year 2014 in favor of a low energy fluorescent bulb made in china.

these bulbs are toxic if broken. laws in America relating to clean up procedures are almost nuclear clean up.

i suppose theres no Manx government laws procedures as to disposal.

so i do hope Mr cretny will work closly with ge. but then again he cant if he bans them from the island.

i think we may one day we will arrive at the situation were 14 council workers turn up to change one light bulb

Is it true about Industrial Equipment? Engineering (& production in general) has been ignored for too long in the UK, in the past couple of year steel prices have doubled and the majority of manufacturing is being done in the Far East. Lets hope they don't do another Strix eh? Did they get a big fat machinery grant too?

Is it true about Industrial Equipment? Engineering (& production in general) has been ignored for too long in the UK, in the past couple of year steel prices have doubled and the majority of manufacturing is being done in the Far East. Lets hope they don't do another Strix eh? Did they get a big fat machinery grant too?

Manufacturing is a much ignored success story for the IOM and employs about 3000 people here. So what if they got a grant? Every other nation/region in the world offers grants to attract business.

There's signs of some of that work coming back, due to the higher transportation costs.

Archived