Shop Closures

Tempus Fugit

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TKMax is always busy, do you have any foundation for this? Only asking because I like TKMax's non-clothes stuff.

I suppose there are the usual 'recession' factors which, added to our own very small market and ability to shop on t'internet, make retail outlets here very susceptible to closure. A sad fact, but I don't think we can expect to have a high street-type shopping 'experience' for much longer. The niche must now be for people to be able to assist in internet shopping so that your search time is more focused to get the goods you want. You know, a personal eshopper. There has to be a market for that.

People are sick of getting ripped offlocally and having to deal with surly local shopkeepers/asssitants....yes I know its a stereotype and not all shopkeepers are like this....but.....

I would gladly pay a premium for local attentiveness but sadly in the absence of this, and with things getting tight, the majority of my shopping will be done with the click of a mouse.....

WSAG is that true? the bit about shop people not being attentive enough? I generally find they are too attentive & fuss about, not to mention Im lazy, which, is why, I do most of my shopping at the click of a mighty mouse :)

WSAG is that true? the bit about shop people not being attentive enough? I generally find they are too attentive & fuss about, not to mention Im lazy, which, is why, I do most of my shopping at the click of a mighty mouse :)

there are not too many smaller shops where you don't get pounced on within 30 seconds of entering the place. when they ask do you need any help ask them to carry you round.

My pet hate is checkout people who

A) are sullen

B) dont make eye contact

c) continue talking to their mates when serving

Shoprite being a prime example of that.....

So maybe I should have initially said checkout staff as opposed to shop assistants....

Rox, What about that that T shirt, funny card place just up from Webbs ( or down from the fish shop )

Lots of glittery stuff in there.

TKMax is always busy, do you have any foundation for this? Only asking because I like TKMax's non-clothes stuff.

I suppose there are the usual 'recession' factors which, added to our own very small market and ability to shop on t'internet, make retail outlets here very susceptible to closure. A sad fact, but I don't think we can expect to have a high street-type shopping 'experience' for much longer. The niche must now be for people to be able to assist in internet shopping so that your search time is more focused to get the goods you want. You know, a personal eshopper. There has to be a market for that.

No foundation at all, just a manx rumour!

With the opening of the Paradise Street project in Liverpool I can see difficult times ahead for retailing on the Island.

I can't help feeling though that if realistic rents were applied to Strand Street properties, some of these businesses would stand a chance of surviving.

By realistic I mean related to the market potential of the Island and not to our over inflated property market, charging £XXX per sq metre in line with office space. Multinationals and the finance sector can afford this, but retail is very fragile on the Island. Big organisations can just drop us in a flash to realign their strategies. The small businessman just goes under with his dreams!

Archived