Shop Closures

Tempus Fugit

how many shops are just closing up these days, saturday a dress shop in Strand shopping centre just packed up and gone, T7G hairdressers gone, who next ?

Shame on you TF - creating all this doom and gloom just as Callow's Yard and Yacht Haven are going to create a retail paradise in Castletown!

In the very heart of the historic town centre, Callow's Yard will be the place to meet and live, a combination of life-style and practicality.

A pedestrian only precinct - a mix of residential and retail incorporating a coffee shop and open recreational areas.

An Hotel Complex would be positioned on the existing Boat-Yard site and incorporate a public facility, quality 30 Bedroom Hotel, Restaurant, Bar and Retail area

Wow....a coffee shop in Castletown - and a public facility - now that's living!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And my favourite shop in the whole wide world has closed. So favourite I could never remember its name but it was upstairs of Internationnale and now there is a big rope across and it does say SHUT FOR GOOD.

Now where will I buy my bling goods, tealight holders and sparkly cushions?

Gutted.

Should have been at the closing down sale, Rox, some well good bargains!!!

What news of Batesons and the Home and Colonial in Strand street, good offal products and great service :D

Craine's the Pork Butchers, Strand Street (lovely pies!) and Clague's the Tripe shop (wonderful hand cut ham), at the bottom of Prospect Hill, where the Policeman stands in that stripped box directing the traffic. ;)

Industrial Equipment went bust this week, and some of the construction companies have been paying men off. JGK have or are about to shut down a site at Castle Hill, contractors are reporting that they cant get paid. Contractors working for a Mr Lacy company in the south of the Island are also not being paid and this is a Government Contract. Has the Credit Squeeze hit the Island too.

I see Starbucks closed 500 branches last week. I'm guessing that it will be interesting to see which of the plethora of overpriced shit service coffee shops in Douglas go to the wall first.

I get my coffee from a jar not a "coffee shop" money just passes through some people like piss through a sieve.

And my favourite shop in the whole wide world has closed. So favourite I could never remember its name but it was upstairs of Internationnale and now there is a big rope across and it does say SHUT FOR GOOD.

Now where will I buy my bling goods, tealight holders and sparkly cushions?

Gutted.

Au Natural ????

I think it's rather telling that MKOne and Au Naturale have upped and gone very quickly, and these are national companies - not local ones. So it's not like they don't have the funds behind them. From what I gather rent is going stupid in strand shooping centre which is why claire's shifted and mk one has just gone. Compleat cookshop has disappeared to port erin of all places. Given the length of time that Claire's old unit has stood empty, i'd be rethinking my rent if I were the shopping centre.

Meanwhile, yet again, it's the Manx population in general that suffer by not being able to get hold of basic bits n bobs or cheap clothing. typical. We wait with baited breath, yet again, for the Manx government to be reactive rather than proactive, if anything at all. I mean let's face it theyre STILL rather busy trying to dig the Health Services and Electricity Authority out of the proverbial.

I do get bored with being cynical and critical.

... it's the Manx population in general that suffer by not being able to get hold of basic bits n bobs or cheap clothing ...

Not the cheapest in the British Isles but nevetheless Looney's of Ramsey is where I buy my clothes, fine for me as I am not a dedicated follower of fashion.

I'm tempted to sing the 'boat in morning' refrain but nowadays it more like 'boat in morning to some mystery location'.

Archived