[BBC News] Ferry repairs to speed up service

Newsbot

They're still there to make money and as much as they possibly can and they will continue to do so. It's also a very simple operation with a captive market. Nice work if you can get it!

that's why they paid so much for the Racket post a renegotiated user agreement, nothing else justified the cost - I hope the MHKs and civil servants were suitably rewarded for their foresight in guaranteeing low cost links to the Island.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it had sucked some flotsum into the water intake and they have to go reverse to spit it out again

That has been confirmed by HIM - from today's blog.

"She did however ‘ingest’ some debris over the weekend into one of her water jets. Luckily prompt action by the crew and a quick manoeuvre astern managed to clear this. "

Perhaps she caught crabs!

was on one that did that last year, it was a little lumpy and we had gone east of the rigs, and there was a bang

and a j-j-j-j-j-judder until they wound it down, but it was too lumpy to try and clear it there so we carried on slowly until near the bar it was a bit smoother and we did the reverse manoeuvre and spat the junk out, and on our way again

just proves how much junk is floating about, whether it be man-made or seaweed I don't know

(I see Incat050 is on the move again after a stopover in Jeddah)

back up to 32~34kt this morning so just a hiccup :)

But see the new ship has already experienced delays on its journey - starting the tradition early...?

back up to 32~34kt this morning so just a hiccup :)

But see the new ship has already experienced delays on its journey - starting the tradition early...?

Some consumables that we had ordered to be ready for Malta were not available. As a result we will now have to make an unscheduled stop in the port of Gibraltar to pick these up.

... if that's what you mean by delays ?

Surely going slower increases your wage bill and possibly cuts down the number of crossings?

I guess in theory you could use the same system that is in place on the Ben. Two 12 hour shifts per day, one 7am to 7pm, one 7pm to 7am, two crews needed per day. Crews operating 7on 7off rotas (I loved that - two weeks off per month :) ). No idea what system they use on the nearly-fast crafts these days, but a few years ago it was simply seasonal staff on 6 month contracts, with rotas crowbarred together to make it work. Pay when I was there could have been better (to put it very politely), with long hours, no sick pay, and slightly chaotic backoffice organisation thrown in. Maybe that all has changed by now - no idea, but you could never accuse the company of spending too much time or attention on staff back then. If you didn't have a permanent contract (like most crew on the Ben, many of which have been there for years and are the reason it just runs and runs steadily and without drama) then all you could hope for was a new temporary one at the end of the season.

Some consumables that we had ordered to be ready for Malta were not available. As a result we will now have to make an unscheduled stop in the port of Gibraltar to pick these up.

Probably ran out of beer :D

just proves how much junk is floating about

Some of the worst junk floating about I've heard of are containers that have dropped off container ships for various reasons (storms, sinkings etc.). Apparently many of them tend to float just below the surface of the water so you can't see them. I don't suspect there are any in the Irish sea, as they'd probably be dealt with quickly, but out in the open oceans is another thing.

just proves how much junk is floating about

Some of the worst junk floating about I've heard of are containers that have dropped off container ships for various reasons (storms, sinkings etc.). Apparently many of them tend to float just below the surface of the water so you can't see them. I don't suspect there are any in the Irish sea, as they'd probably be dealt with quickly, but out in the open oceans is another thing.

Just sitting there, chuckling, waiting for the next aluminium fast craft to come by, perhaps :huh:

Archived