[BBC News] Plans to maintain war memorials

Newsbot

I assume they are including military graves.

But better late than never, the one on the prom falls into disrepair very quickly and should be maintained in pristine condition. It seems to be quite unique and a suitable memorial and reminder of the futility of war!

But better late than never, the one on the prom falls into disrepair very quickly and should be maintained in pristine condition. It seems to be quite unique and a suitable memorial and reminder of the futility of war!

I think it could well be that the War Memorial on the prom is quite unique, it is certainly bigger than many memorials I have seen in England (Cenotaph, excepted, of course).

Without wanting to be flippant or precious, one of the most symbolic aspects of it to me is the habitual presence of a seagull atop the soldier's helmet; it is a nice mixture of the hewn memorial of someone fettered by war and military, social and political protocol, enduringly supporting countless generations of the free and unfettered.

It just works.

I think it could well be that the War Memorial on the prom is quite unique, it is certainly bigger than many memorials I have seen in England (Cenotaph, excepted, of course).

Without wanting to be flippant or precious, one of the most symbolic aspects of it to me is the habitual presence of a seagull atop the soldier's helmet; it is a nice mixture of the hewn memorial of someone fettered by war and military, social and political protocol, enduringly supporting countless generations of the free and unfettered.

It just works.

You mean like his real life compatriots, he gets sh1t on from a great height??

Archived