[BBC News] Man held in 'firearms' incident

Newsbot

In the news this morning, I'm sure I heard they'd used 'rubber bullets' at the incident.

thats what the police had, the muppet supposedly had a knife so i don't see why it gets reported as a firearms incident??

how many times have the fire brigade cut people out of crashed cars?? it gets referred to as an RTC or RTA, crash to most people, they don't call it a 'fire' just because the fire brigade were there. if was reported as an armed incident, that would be ok, but not firearms. just a lot of bollox talking up of a situation.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's been revealed a taser and baton rounds were used by Manx officers for the first time

Baton rounds i.e. more than one! Plus a taser! Who were they up against, The Terminator?

If someone has a knife, it is still classed as a firearms job. The only thing a normal copper has to a) defend himself, b) protect others, and c) used to apprehend the offender is a metal baton about 24" long and a pepper spray thing which sprays about 2-3 metres (and is not guaranteed to work depending on the wind direction!).

If some muppet is waving a knife around threatening to stab anyone who comes near him, then I doubt you would find any policeman who wants to get close to him with a stick and a spray - hence why the blokes with guns get called in. They can fire thier taser or baton-rounds from a lot further away!

It's been revealed a taser and baton rounds were used by Manx officers for the first time

Baton rounds i.e. more than one! Plus a taser! Who were they up against, The Terminator?

I think the use of these devices should be investigated properly and reported after every such incident - if not already. I'm not saying they haven't used them correctly in this case, just that if I had 'new gadgets' to play with in my job I'd use them the first chance I got :rolleyes: These gadgets are potentially lethal, didn't a cop in Manchester get killed on an exercise with a plastic bullet recently? and quite a few people in the U.S. have popped their clogs after being tasered. I'd like to be confident the term 'over-zealous officer' didn't appear in these reports, and that I wouldn't be automatically tasered if I accidently jay-walked on the new QB roundabout.

Couldn't agree more, Albert. ACPO guidlines prohibit the use of baton guns at ranges of less than twenty metres."Unless there is a serious and immediate risk of life which cannot otherwise be countered".

However some medical bod called Krausf, writing in the Lancet says " Police officers must comply with regulations to only fire baton rounds at lower limbs and he suggests it should always be from a distance of more than 40 metres.(Journal ref: The Lancet Vol 359 P 1759)

There has to be a report to the Police ombudsman for England and Wales and the one for Ireland every time these things are used, and if indeed they have been fired. God knows who trains our lot or who would be informed etc.

It's getting very like Animal Farm here these days!

I think the use of these devices should be investigated properly and reported after every such incident - if not already.... if I had 'new gadgets' to play with in my job I'd use them the first chance I got. These gadgets are potentially lethal

It was bound to happen eventually - I totally agree.

I'm now wondering if the reason it is classed as a 'firearms incident' is because the islands' finest have done the shooting? Still, if the suspect is "in custody" as opposed to "in intensive care" hopefully all involved are ok? Let's hope so.

By the way, "aiming at his legs" could also be interpreted as "aiming low enough so it bounces in at head height".

I think the use of these devices should be investigated properly and reported after every such incident - if not already. I'm not saying they haven't used them correctly in this case, just that if I had 'new gadgets' to play with in my job I'd use them the first chance I got :rolleyes: These gadgets are potentially lethal, didn't a cop in Manchester get killed on an exercise with a plastic bullet recently? and quite a few people in the U.S. have popped their clogs after being tasered. I'd like to be confident the term 'over-zealous officer' didn't appear in these reports, and that I wouldn't be automatically tasered if I accidently jay-walked on the new QB roundabout.

I agree with what your saying, I also know that I could never be a police officer, as I know that if some spotty knife weiding chav didn't drop the knife as soon as i snarled at him I would shoot him in the head with whatever was to hand, possibly throw furniture at him and beat the life out of him until the little shit got a job and stopped smoking outside the dhss office at lunch time... :angry:

Sorry. :)

Im not a fan of our police forces, i often feel they are playing at soldiers where a more measured and calm approach would be better in the long run--too many " i felt my life was threatened so i shot im" these days.

But i see this incident as an improvement, even if the police get it wrong a life isnt taken, and if the person who told the police the person has a knife, maliciously, the i would taser that sod as well.

I love this from iomtoday:

Police chiefs (what there's more than one?) have stressed that no members of the public were put in any danger at any time.

Errr... apart from the poor member of the public that came under police baton round and taser fire.

Give me strength....

Errr... apart from the poor member of the public that came under police baton round and taser fire.

Maybe when you start waving a knife at people, you relinguish the right to be called a "member of public".........

It's amazing how protective and mothering some people get at times towards people waving guns/knives around in public.

Yes there's always going to be a slight possibility of 'collateral damage' but I'd rather have the risk of that than all manner of softly softly crap* that ends up in a nutcase potentially getting someone else injured/killed.

*That will no doubt end up eventually resembling the rozzers from Demolition Man in effectiveness

Is this a replacement for the birch? Given the amount of knife crime that is being reported these days (viz. today's horrific news about the two French students) it may not harm for yobs carrying these weapons to hear that one of their club members has been painfully tasered for producing it in public.

Back in the good old NI days the soldiers had to say 'stop or I'll shoot' twice before letting rip. Do the police have to do the same - 'Stop or I'll taser you' 'Stop or I'll taser you'? -Or have they got the freedom to shoot first and answer questions later?

Use of tasers and batton rounds (sounds better than rubber bullets) should be checked out after the event - mind you I'm not sure how meaningful it will be:

"I felt threatened/I felt members of the public were threatened as the individual proceeding in a southerly direction was carrying what looked like a lethal weapon in a manner likely to endanger life - so I gave him 18 amps."

Discovered this useless bit of pub quiz information

the Taser is named after a fictional weapon: Thomas A. Swift's Electric Rifle.

(thank you Wikipedia)

Back in the good old NI days the soldiers had to say 'stop or I'll shoot' twice before letting rip.

We were told to shout a warning, but if there wasn't time and you thought someone was about to carry out a deadly act - bnag! The best advice was 'dead men tell no tales...so if you're gonna shoot - shoot properly!'.

Archived