[BBC News] Island prepares for Royal visit

Newsbot

From the same BBC news:

"She will also attend the official Beat Retreat, a historic military ceremony at Government House on 6 July."

Historic? How far back does this go, and what is it? Never heard of it.

I wonder if she'll be going for a burn along the mountain road - no speed limits there!

But how fast can a horse gallop?

From the same BBC news:

"She will also attend the official Beat Retreat, a historic military ceremony at Government House on 6 July."

Historic? How far back does this go, and what is it? Never heard of it.

Does this follow the ancient ceremony of Beat the Bishop at Peel

I wonder if she'll be going for a burn along the mountain road - no speed limits there!

But how fast can a horse gallop?

I reacon she can run about 7mph

And the so called "good" and stately members of Tynwald will shake hands with Anne Windsor (Mountbatten) and feel great, which will give them some much needed respite from their legislative duties which are well paid and totally remote from the pensioners and low income groups sufferring on the IOM.

And the lady herself will receive their handshakes and slurping, to then get on the plane and forget the whole thing.

In 2008 could someone tell me why we put up with all this medieval pompostic bullshite?

And the so called "good" and stately members of Tynwald will shake hands with Anne Windsor (Mountbatten) and feel great, which will give them some much needed respite from their legislative duties which are well paid and totally remote from the pensioners and low income groups sufferring on the IOM.

And the lady herself will receive their handshakes and slurping, to then get on the plane and forget the whole thing.

In 2008 could someone tell me why we put up with all this medieval pompostic bullshite?

Agree with your sentiment but if strict rules were followed Anne would apparently be a member of the house of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.

I guess the poor woman can't help the people she is surrounded by.

As for your last sentence I reckon that (per the thread on Jersey Independence) we should declare independence, cease to be a Crown Dependency and leave the Commonwealth. Whilst we are at it maybe follow Ireland's example and ban Titles and Honours.

She doesn't wish to disrupt anybody's life, so she'll get a cab from the airport, a quick half in the Tynwald and, after the ceremony when she'll walk the walk of shame holding Bill (brown ********]) Malarkey's hand back to the taxi for a speedy exit.

As bloody if.

http://www.manxradio.com/readNEwsItem.aspx?id=22574

Presumably it is not a disruption to everyday life for Constable Plod to be looking under bushes and lifting manhole covers.

Archived