[BBC News] New £6.5m tower plan for airport

Newsbot

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shouldn't Government departments have to prove that the requirement exists for capital projects?

Is the airport handling in excess of the original design capability and are they expecting a massive increase in air traffic? If so based on what theory or projections?

As I see it the government spends money based on some crazy idea that if we have the capacity to handle large volumes of people, traffic etc, we will get an influx of business, be it holiday or business. It seems that scant little is done in the first place or afterwards to attract anything or anybody?

Hasn't the current tower been classified an unsafe work environment for some time now?

Do you have any more information on this that you could share? On what grounds has it been classified as unsafe? Are they issues that could be rectified for less than £6.5 million or are they so significant that replacement is the only answer?

Politicians and public servants are now operating in a much more informed and 'networked' society that is able to ask questions about how their money is used. If this means that decisions about the use of public money need to be justified better that is a good thing and should not be feared (I am not saying that you are saying that).

The discussion about the QB roundabout seems to be along similar lines.

In all honesty, the problems with the work area in the tower seems to be a general impression I've built up over time.

However, the Government's own release is somewhat more enlightening than the BBC article:

http://www.gov.im/airport/ViewNews.gov?pag...mp;menuid=11570

I find it quite easy to believe that a building constructed during WW2 is no longer fit for purposes in the 21st Century. The space taken up by equipment and additional staff has obviously increased over the years, and what might have been appropriate in that auster age is, in all likelihood, unsuitable for an airport of even Ronaldsway's limited size, not least in terms of facilities for staff.

In all honesty, the problems with the work area in the tower seems to be a general impression I've built up over time.

However, the Government's own release is somewhat more enlightening than the BBC article:

http://www.gov.im/airport/ViewNews.gov?pag...mp;menuid=11570

I find it quite easy to believe that a building constructed during WW2 is no longer fit for purposes in the 21st Century. The space taken up by equipment and additional staff has obviously increased over the years, and what might have been appropriate in that auster age is, in all likelihood, unsuitable for an airport of even Ronaldsway's limited size, not least in terms of facilities for staff.

The equipment used in those days for Radar/Radio etc IMHO would take up considerably more space than the equipment used today, there would have been loads of valves, and a fair amount of heat generated by the equipment.

I would imagine the radar and radio kit in use today would be 10% of the size of stuff 50 years ago.

ATC is a lot more complex these days, but tends to be done with a few consoles and TFT panels - this is also a lot smaller than the kit of previous generations.

Why the need for a tower at all - couldn't it be operated in a more conventional style building, and perhaps mount a bunch of CCTV cameras on a mast for a 360 degree panorama that could be displayed around the control center?

The runways extension is costing £22 million though.

£43,992,342. Even the pink book states £33,238,113

however you break it down the price has one up

a lot

As far as Jurby is concerned, we have already indicated advice that a rough estimate of the cost of reactivating Jurby as a commercial airport might be approximately £13 million. It is not expected, Mr President, that the cost of resolving the runway issue at Ronaldsway would come anywhere near that order of cost

page 9 on http://www.tynwald.org.im/papers/hansards/.../th18012000.pdf

Archived