[BBC News] New £6.5m tower plan for airport

Newsbot

From what I understand there is a physical length of the runway, and then differing distances depending on the direction of take off/landing and obstructions within the various climb out areas. So taking off on 26 pointing towards Port St Mary will be less because of the big hill at Spanish Head in the way. All to do with climb profiles and action in the event of engine failure. Taking off the other direction, out to sea obviously no obstructions so longer declared distances.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From what I understand there is a physical length of the runway, and then differing distances depending on the direction of take off/landing and obstructions within the various climb out areas. So taking off on 26 pointing towards Port St Mary will be less because of the big hill at Spanish Head in the way. All to do with climb profiles and action in the event of engine failure. Taking off the other direction, out to sea obviously no obstructions so longer declared distances.

i don't think the hill is the issue, it is probably the height above houses?

Everyone on here has a valid point to make about the desirability or otherwise of the runway extension and the issues are many and complex. However there is a bottom line which goes something like, do we consider the needs of our society cannot be served by aircraft types which could continue to use our current runway even in the event of having to declare a shorter distance. This is the point which will ultimately decide whether the millions being spent are truly necessary or indeed the wish list of professionals who have little understanding of a captive audience of only 80,000. Without doubt there will be difficult times ahead for the airport and travel industry and none of it will be improved by merely lengthening our runway.

I note in the latest DoT leaflet in the Courier, the RESA has now gone from being 'likely' to become a requirement to 'will ultimately become mandatory'.

i.e. from not certain to be or become true or real, to being the end result of a succession or process.

Archived