Data Privacy Laws Gone Mad

Pragmatopian

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7488524.stm

Street View matches photos of locations to maps, including passers-by who were captured as the photograph was taken.

Privacy International, a UK rights group, believes the technology breaks data protection laws.

Some individuals in the US have complained about their images being used and Google has said it removed their presence on request.

So Europeans may lose out on an awesome new tool because someone who happened to be walking down a street while a photograph was taken had their privacy rights infringed? Groups like Privacy International undermine their legitimate concerns regarding the harvesting of data inappropriately on the part of governments, marketeers and criminals by focusing on a benign technology 'coincidentally' produced by a high-profile entity like Google, which is guaranteed to get them column inches.

*Pages all tinfoil-hat-wearing paraoics to the thread*

*Pages all tinfoil-hat-wearing paraoics to the thread*

Happy to oblige-

Yet another example of the relentless march of the jackbooted control freak Orwellian Big Brother, high tec Nazis as they lay their evil plans to monitor our every breath from cradle to grave and beyond! Citizens of freedom, rise up against the technology of oppression before we are all absorbed into the matrix and enslaved by the brutal military/industrial complex. What next satellite monitoring of smokers??????????

Skynet is coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Pause for breath*

PS Like the introduction of smoking to the thread?

The idea that someone standing in a public place can claim privacy (or commercial) rights for incidentally ending up in a commercial photograph or even film is total and utter toss.

If they win their case it will stop 90% of news coverage etc etc. Stupidity of the first order.

The idea that someone standing in a public place can claim privacy (or commercial) rights for incidentally ending up in a commercial photograph or even film is total and utter toss.

When we were living accross the our council decided it wanted a photographic database of everyones house. They then put all the pictures online. Included in the images were cars, people, children etc.

It lasted about two weeks before they had to shut it down due to local complaints.

Quite right too.

Reminds me of a time across when I was seen in a television news shot driving my car through an area with a passenger who was not my spouse. Fortunately I had made it known in advance what I was doing that day - it was a legit. business trip - otherwise I could have been in rather hot water :D

If a photgraph of one of these nuts was to end up in a local paper, or even on the telly they'd be pleased as punch and would tell all their friends "ooh, I was on the telly last night". Put it on the internet and they're scared shitless.

From the Gaurdian today:

Google has enough data to pull you out of the crowd

The internet industry might deny the usefulness of IP addresses, but the unspoken reality it's the crucial piece of the jigsaw for identifying you. Even if it doesn't single you out specifically, it's probably close enough. And when given extra context – such as the things you've searched for – it's almost certainly enough to pull you out of the crowd.

Archived