Frank Mcavennie Arrested In Iom?

Jimcalagon

Energy FM story

I'll include the full text because Energy FM stories disappear after a while...

Manx police unable to confirm 'McAvennie arrest' rumours

It's believed Frank McAvennie's been arrested on the Island.

The former Scottish football star was taking part in the Legends match at the Bowl on Saturday.

Although Manx Police can't release any more details, they have told us a 48 year old man from Newcastle was arrested in the early hours of Saturday after a disturbance in a Douglas bar.

The man has been charged with affray and disorderly conduct on licensed premises.

A police spokesperson says the individual was released on bail and will appear at Douglas Courthouse on 19th August.

A 23 year old local man, arrested in connection with the same incident has been charged with affray and will also appear in court that day.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Story behind this is brilliant, i was waiting for this to be picked up!! not sure if anything can be said at the moment because its still being investigated, the papers have been calling up about this all weekend.

Oh, go on. We won't tell anyone.

[

The former Scottish football star was taking part in the Legends match at the Bowl on Saturday.

He was probably slightly confused anway as this was billed as a Liverpool v Man united legends game and I do not recall him playing for either of those sides.

I remember this issue being raised two years ago, and the organiser getting very hot under the collar about it, ibut t was one of the reasons I did not go this year as whilst I appreciate that there were 2 celebretary guests on each side from what I caught on the radio there were a fair few local footballers getting involved. OK I appreciate that people miss flights or get injured and you need contingencies but if you are going to promote the game as Liverpool v Man United Legends plus 2 "celebrity" guests you should have a reasonable expectation that is what it will occur for the match and not just for say the first ten minutes.

If you planning to the contrary and that you expect that for a fair proportion of the match locals including the organisors will get a run out then this should be made clear

Fully agree. I used to go to a few of these sportsmans dinners and even went to a legends game however whereas in the past charities or sports clubs would host an event for fundraising purposes the majority nowadays are actually business based. Although I'm quite prepared to pay over the odds to support the local footy club or rugby club, I 'm less inclined to pay more than the event is worth where theres a business profit (thats includes "legends" games which don't deliver what they promise).

On the same basis I've reduced contributions to some local charities where they are actually now employing professional fundraisers who are allegedly paid commission on the amount they raise.

Yes yes, this is the kind of thing I was talking about on the Stars in Your Manx Eyes thread.

People know it is business, the people who run it must be trying to make a profit, so, it would be bad business sense to have a rubbishy event...but it sounds like they do put on rubbsihy events & they seem to get away with it, time and time again - very strange.

Yes yes, this is the kind of thing I was talking about on the Stars in Your Manx Eyes thread.

People know it is business, the people who run it must be trying to make a profit, so, it would be bad business sense to have a rubbishy event...but it sounds like they do put on rubbsihy events & they seem to get away with it, time and time again - very strange.

I think they've got a captive audience here though.

[

He was probably slightly confused anway as this was billed as a Liverpool v Man united legends game and I do not recall him playing for either of those sides.

I remember this issue being raised two years ago, and the organiser getting very hot under the collar about it, ibut t was one of the reasons I did not go this year as whilst I appreciate that there were 2 celebretary guests on each side from what I caught on the radio there were a fair few local footballers getting involved. OK I appreciate that people miss flights or get injured and you need contingencies but if you are going to promote the game as Liverpool v Man United Legends plus 2 "celebrity" guests you should have a reasonable expectation that is what it will occur for the match and not just for say the first ten minutes.

If you planning to the contrary and that you expect that for a fair proportion of the match locals including the organisors will get a run out then this should be made clear

exactly why i didn't go this year, i went to the last one a couple of years ago and ,many of the top stars who were billed as appearing weren't there and we were treated to a match between a few past players and a load of locals.

I belive once again a few didn't make it again this time, including lee sharpe.

£15 to watch a few locals and "stars" from coronation street? :lol: I don't think so

[

exactly why i didn't go this year, i went to the last one a couple of years ago and ,many of the top stars who were billed as appearing weren't there and we were treated to a match between a few past players and a load of locals.

£15 to watch a few locals and "stars" from coronation street? :lol: I don't think so

it was actually only Lee Sharpe that never turned up, Mcavennie was just 'otherwise engaged' shall we say (but did make it for the night dinner). Also, there was only ONE 'star' from coronation street. Who incidently, was as good as any of the liverpool legends.

There were a few locals that had the opportunity to pay to play for their team, whereas there was also a raffle you could enter to win a game. But from what i saw, any locals who weren't the best footballers only got a quick run out. This was to make sure the standard of football wasn't poor.

I really dont think people on the Island appreciated the calibre of players who were here at the weekend. shame really. funny enough, it's the same people who complain there is nothing to do over here!!

[

I really dont think people on the Island appreciated the calibre of players who were here at the weekend. shame really. funny enough, it's the same people who complain there is nothing to do over here!!

washed up football 'stars' of yesteryear having a kick about with local wannabes and a few soap star wannabes IS nothing to do.

There were a few locals that had the opportunity to pay to play for their team, whereas there was also a raffle you could enter to win a game. But from what i saw, any locals who weren't the best footballers only got a quick run out. This was to make sure the standard of football wasn't poor.

I could go and watch the locals play football the majority of weeks a year for free. The fact that any locals who were not the best footballers only got a quick run out is to me immaterial. It is also immaterial if the legends who came over are better or worse now thay are getting on a bit than the locals or what their calibre is. What matters is that if a match is advertised as X then that is what is should be. I did not see anywhere in the pre publicity any reference to locals paying, I appreciate I may have missed it, but if a match is desribed as Liverpool Legends v Man United Legends then that is what I expect to watch.

A couple of weeks ago KT Tunstall came across and played the Villa. There was an advertised support band before hand but do you think it would have been accepted if she had wandered halfway through her gig and let a few locals do some of her numbers instead. Would they bollocks. So why should it be appropriate in respect of a football match.

To me it is nothing more and nothing less than you should produce what you say you will produce and from their web site that is this

"This is your chance to be part of the biggest sporting event (without an engine!) on the Isle of Man this year. Saturday 5th of July at the Bowl in Douglas will see an allstar Manchester United side take on thier Liverpool rivals. The format of the game will have 9 ex-players and 2 celebrities facing each other."

Finally I will admit to not knowing the individuals who organised the event nor do I have any interest in events such as this myself, memorabilia etc. I thought I would just post that as from memory as soon as any critism went their way previoulsy the accusation is that the individual has some sort of agenda. For the record as far as I aware I do not.

Archived