Frank Mcavennie Arrested In Iom?

Jimcalagon

There were a few locals that had the opportunity to pay to play for their team, whereas there was also a raffle you could enter to win a game. But from what i saw, any locals who weren't the best footballers only got a quick run out. This was to make sure the standard of football wasn't poor.

I really dont think people on the Island appreciated the calibre of players who were here at the weekend. shame really. funny enough, it's the same people who complain there is nothing to do over here!!

I could go and watch the locals play football the majority of weeks a year for free. The fact that any locals who were not the best footballers only got a quick run out is to me immaterial. It is also immaterial if the legends who came over are better or worse now thay are getting on a bit than the locals or what their calibre is. What matters is that if a match is advertised as X then that is what is should be. I did not see anywhere in the pre publicity any reference to locals paying, I appreciate I may have missed it, but if a match is desribed as Liverpool Legends v Man United Legends then that is what I expect to watch.

A couple of weeks ago KT Tunstall came across and played the Villa. There was an advertised support band before hand but do you think it would have been accepted if she had wandered halfway through her gig and let a few locals do some of her numbers instead. Would they bollocks. So why should it be appropriate in respect of a football match.

To me it is nothing more and nothing less than you should produce what you say you will produce and from their web site that is this

well said :rolleyes:

As it was advertised as Liverpool legends v man utd legends, what was frank mcavennnie doing here to play in it? :huh:

And were there any other players, along with the locals who weren't even utd or liverpool legends?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lee Watson seems like an alright kind of guy IRL, he comes across like 'a right cock' in that article in the Daily Record though, maybe he's changed or my memory isnt all it used to be, or maybe...no.

No he hasn't changed. He's still a complete 'T##L! Played football against him a couple of years ago. From the sounds of things the event he organised was a complete sham :) IMHO of course.

I see the Daily Record are describing it as a charity match.

Yeh right! Wonder which charity the procedes are going to? Bail for a certain celebrity :o

No he hasn't changed. He's still a complete 'T##L! Played football against him a couple of years ago. From the sounds of things the event he organised was a complete sham :) IMHO of course.

That may be a bit harsh as I do not know the guy and have never knowingly met him but from hearing him speak on the radio he seems to be a salesman giving it a bit of a spin, selling a line. As to an extent his business is himself then yes consequently it probably will come across as being vain, full of his own importance etc but whether that is an accurate reflection I can not say.

As for the spin well he is in it to make money and quotes like it is the biggest sporting event on the Island without an engine, (I would have said that was the Parish Walk) is presumably a line to sell the event. Just as statements that he was hoping Sky & Radio Five Live would cover the event might also attract attention. Equally I would presume most us would not be taken in.

As I said before the only bit that bothers me is that if he publicises as an event as being something then that is what he should produce. Equally if it is stated in the pre-publicity that Gary Pallister and Dion Dublin will be playing then I expect that to be the case, unless some otherwise unfortunate event i.e. being nicked, prevents your appearance. I am only using those players as examples as they were mentioned in the pre publicity and for all I know they may have played but I did not hear there names being mentioned. The same publicity was also stated that the commentary was to be done by ???? McQueen (the ex Scottish centre back) and again I have no knowledge if that happened.

The man is a complete penis IMO. I was unfortunate to know him for a while before realising that being his 'friend' was a handicap.

The man ( and his missus ) are more obsessed by 'celebs' than Heat magazine. I've got no problem with him being something

to do with the Utd supporters club as he's a big fan - but he the type that goes a bit loopy after some banter if you don't agree

that they're the best team in the world. And he hates scousers like some kind of plague which is odd as he's Irish and supports

a Utd.

Meh, close the thread and don't give him and his tat shop anymore free publicity.

He's the very reason me and my mates stopped going to the utd supporters club meetings over here, he seemed more interested in promoting his own events/shop than actually what we were there for.

shame really because the rest were a decent bunch of people and we had some good trips away

Have to agree with above comments

Bullshit merchant of the highest order

If handing money over to him to watch some ageing football players and minor celebs kick a ball around for 60-90 mins is your idea of the biggest sporting event in IOM without wheels' then vote with your feet and continue to believe his spin.

Parish walk was in fact a far superior spectacle where a huge number of people were involved in actually achieving something great whilst in many cases raising money for charity as opposed to their own pockets so I know which event I supported.

I actually parted with £15 to go and watch this and was very disappointed when the UTD legends lined-up with Andy Goram, Darren Campbell, Michael Levell and Jamie Lomas, now as a Liverpool fan i might not be upto speed on UTD players but i have not been asleep for 20 years that much i do know, LEGENDS hmmm has Alex F ever played any of these??

Then you look at the opposing side with Bruce Grobbelaar Phil Neal Alan Kennedy John Wark Paul Walsh Jan Molby John Aldridge Ronnie Whelan Michael Thomas and a lesser known player than the rest John Durnin(unless you are a LFC fan) to me that is a legends side with an average age of about 70!!!!

Now it strikes me that either Mr Watson was desperate to win the game or Utd have NO legends! Paul Parker Clayton Blackmore Denis Irwin and Brian Mclair hardly constitutes a legend side.. Do i feel ripped off??? Just a bit

I knew this thread would be going down this lane - sigh.... Certain keywords set of certain reactions around here - it's some kind of interwebnet law I think.

Archived