Aint Just The Iom

crumlin

Nooooo! Well, perhaps one but I'm not drunk sir! I was just saying that the people in Jersey who work in the service industry (not high flying finance whizz kids) may wish Jersey wasn't a tax haven. They have a tierd house buying scheme so I just thought there may be people who would prefer a different community from finance. I was being funny about the cows...stereotypical Jersey thing? as in, do you have radios in the Isle Of Man?

I find it hard to believe that anyone in Jersey would be pro abolition of tax havens to be quite honest.
One of my relatives by association (my aunt's partner of nearly 50 years) is from Guernsey (okay - not Jersey) but cannot move back to the island because she no longer has the right to buy property on the local market. She hugely objects to the finance sector.

EDIT: I very much hope that if a split housing market were to be introduced on the IOM - then it would be set in stone that anyone born or brought up on the island would always have a right to resident status.

I lived in Guerney for 8 years too so I know the situation over there. Jersey is different though, much stricter than Guernsey. I'm astounded that a local born person can't move back there though, that's a shocker to me. At the end of the day, I could always go bak to England if I wanted to, no matter what (unless there's some dodgy EU regulation that I'm not aware of).

I'm not too sure what the housing market is like in either of those juristictions these days but it was pretty horrendous when I lived in Guernsey and Jersey prices were sky high when I was there for a holiday a few years back. Lovely place though Jersey, I wouldn't mind living there.

I worked a short term contract in Guernsey a couple of years ago.

On the plane on the way over there I read £250K for a house "ideal for first time buyers"

Would never go back there because;

(a) the whole island is about the same size as Ramsey

(B) my flat got burgled after 72 hours of being there.

It's not nice knowing that someone has been through and taken your personal things, and that's what I'll always think of when I think of Guernsey.

I suppose I'm lucky I wasn't in it at the time, but part of me wishes I was...

I lived in Guerney for 8 years too so I know the situation over there. Jersey is different though, much stricter than Guernsey. I'm astounded that a local born person can't move back there though, that's a shocker to me. At the end of the day, I could always go bak to England if I wanted to, no matter what (unless there's some dodgy EU regulation that I'm not aware of).

I'm not too sure what the housing market is like in either of those juristictions these days but it was pretty horrendous when I lived in Guernsey and Jersey prices were sky high when I was there for a holiday a few years back. Lovely place though Jersey, I wouldn't mind living there.

Mr.Mission...think spelling...think Mr.Pedantic...think about your comments to The Bees! ;)

Just a look at a Jersey estate agent site, they had a Dan type two bed mews house for sale at £388k

It is probably time to close down the UK dependent territory tax havens. They have appalling social justice and human rights records and seem unable to prevent money laundering on a grand scale. Make them part of the UK jurisdiction, I say. Why is there no equivalent of ATAC or offshore watch on IOM.

Archived