Failed Politician Attacks Failing Politician

Grianane

Is there in fact anything wrong with a politician doing a U turn?

Does it not mean that they are listening to the swell of public opinion and modifying their plans accordingly rather than just pushing on with them because they are too proud to admit they are wrong?

I have no problem at all with U turns. The only issue is if they have spent millions getting to the right junction before doing the U turn!! That however is usually the fault of the Government system where you can literally spend millions on a project, in design, consultation etc, before you even have the final Tynwald approval for it to go ahead! Face, arse and about are the words that spring to mind!

if you do a U turn in such a short period of time, it shows you have made a bad or wrong decission in the firstplace. this goes to show that the idea was not properly looked at and the causes for the U turn not found in the first place WHICH THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN if someone was doing their job properly and effectively.

They have made the right decision in the end - who cares how they got there? Saying stuff about people to Manx Radio or the local press is well gay such things should be kept in the play ground, he said, she said meh meh meh - nice one to Eddie Teare for not rising to his nonsense - Singer ...who???

if you do a U turn in such a short period of time, it shows you have made a bad or wrong decission in the firstplace. this goes to show that the idea was not properly looked at and the causes for the U turn not found in the first place WHICH THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN if someone was doing their job properly and effectively.

I disagree - I think Eddie Teare and his team of healthcare experts came to a conclusion about the best way forward on both counts, then realised a sizeable chunk of people were against the measures. Doesn't make the original conclusion wrong though.

If everything was decided by consensus, we'd be cutting the hands off vandals and hanging kiddy fiddlers from every street corner. Well, maybe that's just MY solution...

I'd much rather that my elderly and infirm mother was helped to live AT home rather than in A home - trouble is she's too stubborn and proud to rely on the state, so lives with my sister. Not everyone has a relative prepared to do that though.

Not everyone has a relative prepared to do that though.

Which is a good point, the island has a good proportion of residents with no other family links (that isn't a bad thing) so it does mean that a larger proportion of people would need to be cared for in their own homes as they are without any family support.

I think the family should always be the first line of support but do not believe that trying to care for people in their own home can really be the most cost effective position. There is a suspicion that the policy is best suited to contracting out the care provision and is therefore a building block in a wider strategy to privatise to health provision, which throws up the "its all about money" criticism.

If they really can't afford to provide a national health servcie they need to look to ways of getting contributions from those who can afford it or who haven't contributed towards the cost of it, and to preventing health immigration from diverting resources away from caring for life residents.

I think the family should always be the first line of support but do not believe that trying to care for people in their own home can really be the most cost effective position. There is a suspicion that the policy is best suited to contracting out the care provision and is therefore a building block in a wider strategy to privatise to health provision, which throws up the "its all about money" criticism.

If they really can't afford to provide a national health servcie they need to look to ways of getting contributions from those who can afford it or who haven't contributed towards the cost of it, and to preventing health immigration from diverting resources away from caring for life residents.

Bold One: It isn't the most cost-effective, which is why the Minister has said it would in fact cost them more.

Bold Two: There always seems to be this assumption that it is an 'either or.' It is quite possible (and may in fact be preferable to direct state care) to run such things on a third-sector basis. It just requires someone driven enough to set that kind of thing up (from outside gvt)

I agree though that we need to stem the tide of old people moving here, simply to maintain the viability of the economy and the state's finances.

This is going to come as a shock to you I know but people make mistakes, all of us in fact.

If everything was decided by consensus, we'd be cutting the hands off vandals and hanging kiddy fiddlers from every street corner. Well, maybe that's just MY solution...

And your point is.....

The only issues about u-turns, mistakes, cock-ups, whatever is if they were avoidable, which is subjective of course. However you should never be afraid of making decisions because the percentages ALWAYS work in your favour. In business you gather as many facts as you can and hopefully they make the decision for you. If they don't and you get it wrong simply because a decision HAD to be made then as soon as you realise it's a fuck-up you make another decision to put it right. That's how the percentages always favour you. Problems arise when idiots stand by their stupid decisions for no other reason than they made them and they don't want to be seen to be wrong. Politicians are favourite for this because in many ways they are amateurs at what they are doing. So in fact a u-turn for a politician should be seen as laudable.

Then we have experience. Too many companies have a graduate "fast track" that quickly elevates them to a position where they are not only no longer competant but they cannot command loyalty or respect. It's a simple fact that in the first instance the more experienced make the right decision more often than those who are new to the business. Not exactly rocket science. There's a lesson there for politicos.

Archived