[BBC News] Manx air passenger figures fall

Newsbot

It Can't be anything to do with the reassuringly expensive fares , can it!

More likely the stories of FlyPossibly's poor time-keeping which is a big turn-off.

Flying is cheap if you book in advance but trying to fly to the Island from the continent is a nightmare now - I am thinking of London City and VLM for my next trip.

The number of passengers through Isle of Man's airport fell "significantly" by 10% last month, compared to 2007, figures show.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7497929.stm

What a surprise eh! :o

Possibly a surprise to Ann Reynolds?

Ann Reynolds June Press Release on numbers:

“Whilst the closure of Euromanx is bound to affect passenger numbers using the Airport, particularly in the short term, the May results have been very reassuring” added Ann. “The massive capacity serving Northwest England recently was unsustainable and now that an adjustment to this has taken place, we will be working with our airline partners to try to ensure that air travel to and from the Island remains competitive, continuing the recent upward trend in passenger traffic.”

Same lady - July

"Following the demise of EuroManx we were fortunate not to lose any routes, however as the airline was responsible for 30% of our passenger traffic it was obvious that their collapse would have a negative effect on our figures," Ms Reynolds said.

Wasn't June 2007 the 100th anniversary of the TT?

why left facts get in the way when it's another opportunity to moan about the runway......................................

I was thinking that too. It just shows how much people abuse or don't understand statistics these days IMO.

Flying is cheap if you book in advance but trying to fly to the Island from the continent is a nightmare now - I am thinking of London City and VLM for my next trip.

I useed VLM via City to Luxembourg recently. It was nice to have service with a smile for a change. You wont regret it if you give them a try. They do through fares to some European destinations, worth a look on WWW.FLYVLM.COM

Perhaps if one of the operators put on some flights maybe twice a week to Amsterdam, Paris, Madrid (or even one of the regional airports on the Continent) they'd find a decent market here. Better still twin the island with an island in the Med and have some sort of reciprocal agreements in place re promotion, travel arrangements etc.

One of the good things about BA was when you booked through them they had to get you to your destination. These days it's a nightmare. Two different operators to get to the continent. Having to leave plenty of time between flights - often an overnight stay. Hours waiting around at least 3 airports. Personally getting on and off the island is now a major headache and any thing that can reduce the number of flights would be welcome.

Archived