[BBC News] Manx air passenger figures fall

Newsbot

Flying is cheap if you book in advance but trying to fly to the Island from the continent is a nightmare now - I am thinking of London City and VLM for my next trip.

I useed VLM via City to Luxembourg recently. It was nice to have service with a smile for a change. You wont regret it if you give them a try. They do through fares to some European destinations, worth a look on WWW.FLYVLM.COM

Yup heard some good reports on VLM recently. Through flights to Amsterdam too.

Not just the wholly disruptive delays and cancellations but also, in my view, the supercillious and patronising attitude of the security staff.

Not only do they appear to enforce the stupid rules to the nth degree here as opposed to all other airports (especially europe) but I believe their attitude to be appalling.

I was present when an elderly lady asked if she could have one of those stupid plastic bags that are now de rigeur to be told that they did not supply them and, when she asked if they were sold in the shop, she was told that they did not know! As she left the area to find out, one ignoramus shouted across to his mate words to the effect...."some people, you would think that they would know the rules by now!"

I travel by sea/tunnel, being retired and being lucky having time available to me, and am constantly surprised by the numbers who do likewise just to avoid the insult that is security at Ronaldsway.

As if they could stop a terrorist if they were really serious about launching an attack from here!!

Please new security company....do not recruit these people, train new ones in how to perform their thankless task with civility and courtesy and make the unnecessary hassles more acceptabole to a doubting public!!

Seems a bit facile to blame the decrease in passenger numbers on the demise of Euromanx, as all EM pax were offered alternative carriage on Flybe, no? In any case, if you have to go somewhere you have to go by sea or air, surely?

What is more worrying than a desire to massage the figures, is the apparent desire to ignore, or even not look for, any underlying trends. Forget about a trend in tourist trade, we should be looking for a decline in the business motivated travel which, surely, is an indicator that we are starting to feel the pinch here too.

Not just the wholly disruptive delays and cancellations but also, in my view, the supercillious and patronising attitude of the security staff.

Not only do they appear to enforce the stupid rules to the nth degree here as opposed to all other airports (especially europe) but I believe their attitude to be appalling.

I was present when an elderly lady asked if she could have one of those stupid plastic bags that are now de rigeur to be told that they did not supply them and, when she asked if they were sold in the shop, she was told that they did not know! As she left the area to find out, one ignoramus shouted across to his mate words to the effect...."some people, you would think that they would know the rules by now!"

I travel by sea/tunnel, being retired and being lucky having time available to me, and am constantly surprised by the numbers who do likewise just to avoid the insult that is security at Ronaldsway.

As if they could stop a terrorist if they were really serious about launching an attack from here!!

Please new security company....do not recruit these people, train new ones in how to perform their thankless task with civility and courtesy and make the unnecessary hassles more acceptabole to a doubting public!!

Couldn't agree more. I have given up flying because it is such an unpleasant experience. Thank God for the cheerful lasses of the Manannan Exec Club.

Seems a bit facile to blame the decrease in passenger numbers on the demise of Euromanx, as all EM pax were offered alternative carriage on Flybe, no? In any case, if you have to go somewhere you have to go by sea or air, surely?

What is more worrying than a desire to massage the figures, is the apparent desire to ignore, or even not look for, any underlying trends. Forget about a trend in tourist trade, we should be looking for a decline in the business motivated travel which, surely, is an indicator that we are starting to feel the pinch here too.

On the first point, I initially thought this as well, but then I thought you exclude anyone who would have flown, but had not booked in advance. Then I realised they would have simply rebooked to Flybe.

In any case, the decline is probably down to it having been the Centenary last June.

Secondly, alas the airport will only have access to bulk figures, since route-specific pax numbers will only be known to the operators, who are unlikely to release them, if only because that would not be standard business practice.

Secondly, alas the airport will only have access to bulk figures, since route-specific pax numbers will only be known to the operators, who are unlikely to release them, if only because that would not be standard business practice.

Not so! The airport have a full breakdown by route and carrier. In fact, they often use this detail to explain pax number variations.

Archived