Ramsey Pier To Be Demolished?

Fossils

If the Government demolished Ramsey Pier (and they wouldn't do that, would they?)

• there would be no viable landing stage for any ferry company wishing to compete with the Steam Packet monopoly
  • it's rapidly increasing value as scrap metal would provide a nice little earner

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst this thread seems to be complete speculation, Ramsey Pier is never going to be used to 'break the Steam Packet's monopoly.'

If people don't want it demolished they should come up with their own action plan. So far all I've seen is the dubious claim that it will 'attract tourists to the town.'

If only they scrapped that useless plan to make a huge ovalabout where it is not needed, and spent the money on Ramsey Pier. Then there's that £8m spending money voted for Douglas so they can put another coat of blue paint over everything.

Isn't it about time someone looked at what is needed outside Douglas?

Perhaps Treasury should be relocated to Ramsey, then views might change.

Why is a useless old victorian pier needed in Ramsey?

To match the useless old Victorian values of the residents.

Why is a useless old victorian pier needed in Ramsey?

To match the useless old Victorian values of the residents.

The pier in it's current state also makes the buildings and cars in Ramsey look shabby in comparison.

y no <3 4 Ramsey?

Sorry, my enigma machine is on the blink today.

heh heh, nice reply :)

Stu Peters interviewed MHK Gawne on this morning's Mandate.

The MHK had been waxing lyrical until Stu dropped in this question:

_20080711_Phil_Gawne_re_Ransey_Pier.mp3

Not a bad question when you consider the interviewer is a bit of an aircraft orientated person. The MHK was well and truly on the ropes I would suggest, stuttering and even laughing, perhaps nervously. To be fair though, this is not an easy decision to make but there again isn't that why MHKs are there?

y no <3 4 Ramsey?

Sorry, my enigma machine is on the blink today.

heh heh, nice reply :)

Stu Peters interviewed MHK Gawne on this morning's Mandate.

The MHK had been waxing lyrical until Stu dropped in this question:

_20080711_Phil_Gawne_re_Ransey_Pier.mp3

Not a bad question when you consider the interviewer is a bit of an aircraft orientated person. The MHK was well and truly on the ropes I would suggest, stuttering and even laughing, perhaps nervously. To be fair though, this is not an easy decision to make but there again isn't that why MHKs are there?

But they always produce these arguments. Thing is we are never consulted about other financial decisions and whether this or that should have priority. Therefore I view such comments as meaningless and misleading. First we need the full picture and secondly if they had invested the money I believe was allocated to keeping the pier in good condition they could probably afford it now anyway. No doubt this money is no longer allocated as if finance is not used it is then not available in the future - isn't that how it works?

How do you propose to use Ramsey pier to unload scap metal???

Keep up FFS.

Hint, it's called the iron pier sometimes.

By the way, there are no plans to sell the pier as scrap, no more than selling the victoria clock as scrap.

How do you propose to use Ramsey pier to unload scap metal???

Keep up FFS.

Hint, it's called the iron pier sometimes.

By the way, there are no plans to sell the pier as scrap, no more than selling the victoria clock as scrap.

Sorry - my brazillian neighbour's 26 year-old daughter (magazine model) is distracting me :-)

Archived