Ramsey Pier To Be Demolished?

Fossils

Wish there was a way of finding out how many people living past the mountain (including Kirk Michael etc, commute to Douglas

Also, wouldn't it br better to have some tax incentives for businesses to move up to the North?

Businesses and shops might find tax incentives attractive, but I don't think it'd be enough to tempt them away in significant numbers from the far larger mass of customers and employees the South offers, especially when they're in a pretty good position regarding tax as it is. The trouble is that Ramsey is (relatively speaking) simply too inconvenient and too far away for most people.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be shops though. If you focused on getting smaller businesses that don't deal directly with the public, they could probably adapt the existing building stock to their needs, and regeneration inside the town itself would take place much more easily.

Re: Summerland, the bits of the building that remain are there because of fears as to the stability of the cliff. The DTL wants to do a survey, but the homeowners along the cliff top won't grant them access.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wish there was a way of finding out how many people living past the mountain (including Kirk Michael etc, commute to Douglas

Also, wouldn't it br better to have some tax incentives for businesses to move up to the North?

Businesses and shops might find tax incentives attractive, but I don't think it'd be enough to tempt them away in significant numbers from the far larger mass of customers and employees the South offers, especially when they're in a pretty good position regarding tax as it is. The trouble is that Ramsey is (relatively speaking) simply too inconvenient and too far away for most people.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be shops though. If you focused on getting smaller businesses that don't deal directly with the public, they could probably adapt the existing building stock to their needs, and regeneration inside the town itself would take place much more easily.

Re: Summerland, the bits of the building that remain are there because of fears as to the stability of the cliff. The DTL wants to do a survey, but the homeowners along the cliff top won't grant them access.

What would be pretty cool, is something like they have in Hartlepool

Hartlepool Historic Quay

I've visited there about two years ago and it was pretty interesting and if you had a ship like the Star of India which incidentally was built in Ramsey

starofindia_1.jpg

Then you've got the makings of an interesting historic area, which would be one of the tourist 'have to visit places'

The Euterpe was a full-rigged ship built of iron at the Ramsey shipyard of Gibson & Co. on the Isle of Man in November 1863.

The Euterpe began her career with two voyages to India, both of which nearly lead to disaster. On her first trip she suffered a collision and a mutiny. On her second trip she was caught by a cyclone in the Bay of Bengal, and with her topmasts cut away, she was fortunate to make port. Soon afterwards, her first master died on board and was buried at sea. The Euterpe then made four more voyages to India as a cargo ship. In 1871 she was purchased by the Shaw Savill line and embarked on a quarter century of transporting emigrants to New Zealand, sometimes also stopping in Australia, California and Chile. She made 21 circumnavigations in this service, some of them lasting up to a year.

The Euterpe was sold to American owners in 1898 and registered at San Franscisco. In 1902 she commenced sailing from California to the Bering Sea each spring with a load of fishermen, cannery hands, box shook and tin plate. She returned each autumn laden with canned salmon. This carried on until 1923, when she was laid up by her owners, the Alaska Packers Association. The Packers had changed her name in 1906, dubbing her Star of India in keeping with their company practice of re-naming their vessels as "Star of ....." .Five years earlier they had rigged her down to a barque, her present rig.

The Star of India was laid up in 1923, then bought by a group of people from San Diego in 1926. In 1976, the fully restored Star of India put to sea for the first time in fifty years. She is owned by the San Diego Maritime Museum and it is claimed that she is the oldest sailing vessel still afloat.

I wonder if Weston Supermare will rebuild their pier? I bet they do and that is is up and running by next summer.

It is privately owned and privately financed therefore it will not be "weston Supermare" rebuilding or puttingh their hands in their pockets

Of course they have insurance, and don't call me Shirley

Watching a program on the telly tonight has given me an idea

Ramsey commissioners could fake their collective deaths in a boating accident and arrange for the insurance money to be given to the restoration of the pier fund

No, it wouldn't work. How would Ramsey cope without their steady hands on the tiller ?

Archived