Ramsey Pier To Be Demolished?

Fossils

How do you propose to use Ramsey pier to unload scap metal???

Keep up FFS.

Hint, it's called the iron pier sometimes.

By the way, there are no plans to sell the pier as scrap, no more than selling the victoria clock as scrap.

Sorry - my neighbour's 26 year-old daughter's Brazillian (magazine model) is distracting me :-)

Fixed the mistype.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn't it about time someone looked at what is needed outside Douglas?

Why is a useless old victorian pier needed in Ramsey?

Heritage? Or the same way the Tower of refuge seems to be needed in Douglas and the Laxey Wheel is needed in Laxey.

surely its has to be beyond economical repair anyway?

Well since it has no real business potential, it was never going to be economic.

Unlike the Laxey Wheel or the Tower of Refuge, which are iconic parts of their locations, the pier is not that to Ramsey.

http://www.manxradio.com/readNEwsItem.aspx?id=22866

"Speaking ahead of this year's 'Under the Pier Party' tomorrow (Sat) Mr Tramontana said the vast majority of the people on the Island had shown in a referendum they wanted the structure to be refurbished, and he's frustrated that there's still been no action"

I sure a hell wasn't asked, aint there other things in Ramsey the money could be spent on, like things that are actually useful?

Unlike the Laxey Wheel or the Tower of Refuge, which are iconic parts of their locations, the pier is not that to Ramsey.

But it could be!

The lack of investment in Ramsey is shameful - yeah so there's a new swimming pool being built - but what has Ramsey got that's unique to the island? F*ck all is what!

The Pier in Ramsey would give the place a bit of respect again - even if it is just for Sunday strolls and ice creams, what's wrong with being Victorianesque about the place? It's only the same opportunities given in Douglas, Port Erin and Peel!

I sure a hell wasn't asked, aint there other things in Ramsey the money could be spent on, like things that are actually useful?

There's that marina report due soon...

Though quite a few people think it will destroy the town and the surrounding area.

I've nothing against Ramsey, or the idea of investing in it, but what new ideas are coming forward? What schemes are the commissioners proposing?

I'm sure they said it would be same cost to remove/dismantle, as it would be to repair, so may as well repair the thing! Somehow need to shove a rocket up someones arse to do something one way or other as this will no doubt be talked about still in 5 years !!!

Well since it has no real business potential, it was never going to be economic.

Explain.

Even if that is the case, perhaps it's because you can't actually use it, unlike the fact you can walk out to the tower, or walk up the laxey wheel etc.

y no <3 4 Ramsey?

Sorry, my enigma machine is on the blink today.

heh heh, nice reply :)

Stu Peters interviewed MHK Gawne on this morning's Mandate.

The MHK had been waxing lyrical until Stu dropped in this question:

_20080711_Phil_Gawne_re_Ransey_Pier.mp3

Not a bad question when you consider the interviewer is a bit of an aircraft orientated person. The MHK was well and truly on the ropes I would suggest, stuttering and even laughing, perhaps nervously. To be fair though, this is not an easy decision to make but there again isn't that why MHKs are there?

i had to laugh when dill gawmeless said they didn't want to make a snap decission about it?? it's been dragging on for how long??? a decade atleast ( it seems like it ). however long it has been, there is no way it could be called a snap decission if they decided TODAY!! they keep having surveys and consultations, i would guess most have come back saying it is a viable renovation which is why we haven't heard about them. when they get the ONE lot of survey results that say its past it, that will be the one that is 'correct' and will be acted upon on the grounds of health and safety. if they could find a way to line their pockets from it it would be done tomorrow.

Really? I think you're talking tosh. Have you asked anyone from Ramsey?

you could always put a cafe on the end of it, like this maybe ?

Yep and people could fish from it and maybe boats could berth alongside it, Oh wait.................

Archived