Ramsey Pier To Be Demolished?

Fossils

Yep and people could fish from it and maybe boats could berth alongside it, Oh wait.................

get a grip - people are way too lazy to walk *all* the way to the end of the pier :P

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep and people could fish from it and maybe boats could berth alongside it, Oh wait.................

get a grip - people are way too lazy to walk *all* the way to the end of the pier :P

Oh yeah, that's true.

I've just had a great idea, how about they run a small train with carriages to run the people all the way out and all the way back.

Back in 1989 I used to work for a plant hire company, I remember then my boss putting in a price to (not sure now) might have been DOLGATE to demolish the pier.

Beur.....buero.......brocrass.........................bally redtape OK!

:)

surely its has to be beyond economical repair anyway?

Well since it has no real business potential, it was never going to be economic.

Unlike the Laxey Wheel or the Tower of Refuge, which are iconic parts of their locations, the pier is not that to Ramsey.

Really? I think you're talking tosh. Have you asked anyone from Ramsey?

People from Ramsey aren't the ones to ask though, are they?

Maybe it would become iconic for Ramsey, but at the minute it seems little more than a derelict obsession. There's been no talk that I've seen of integrating it into the Story of Mann or something like that. Even the suggestions here are 'fishing pier,' 'boat launch' and 'cafe.' They don't exactly justify the £5-7 million it would cost to renovate it.

you probably wouldn't build it now but the overwhelming view is clearly that it should be saved. You quote laxey wheel and the tower of refuge as being iconic and in reality the queens pier is also. The irony about all the iconic items on the island is that none of them can actaully justify their existance in financial terms and there is no reason why the Queens Pier should have to do so when no other historically building or monument has to (I include the laxey wheel, peel castle, rushen abbey, camera obscura etc in these as no serve any purpose other than being a place to visit)

I've never been to the Camera, which seems to be open for twenty minutes every Togday, but all the other historical attractions have 'an experience' attached to them. Of course in the case of the horse trams this is debatable, but that's the exception.

At the moment, people seem to want to save the pier simply for its own sake. I'm not against spending the money on it, more I take issue with the lack of any plan for it. The ability to walk out to see and view the whole of modern Ramsey's promenade isn't exactly a big selling point.

One idea that has just occured is that it could be used to view events taking place in the bay or maybe on the beach. Whether or not that is a good idea I don't know, but its things like that that need to be put forward, rather than the diatribe of Government incompetance and delay, which hinders constructive debate.

Maybe it would become iconic for Ramsey, but at the minute it seems little more than a derelict obsession. There's been no talk that I've seen of integrating it into the Story of Mann or something like that. Even the suggestions here are 'fishing pier,' 'boat launch' and 'cafe.' They don't exactly justify the £5-7 million it would cost to renovate it.

I would agree with that. That money would be far better spent on Ramsey itself. You could provide youth centres keeping more kids off the streets, enhance the existing attractions like Mooragh park significantly and do many other good things. 'Derelict obsession' seems an apt description - and people demanding the renovation of the pier need a reality check. It's a relic from the holiday island past - even Douglas sold its pier years ago. It's like buying your kids a gold plated bucket, when they need shoes.

On the subject of whether it's viable or not, if Ramsey Town Commissioners did decide to refurbish the pier, does anyone know what the corresponding rate increase for Ramsey residents might be?

--------------------

Tech Blog - Personal Blog - Business Blog - ManxFriends Profile

Got a Manx website: Submit it on SearchMann - Catch me on Twitter?

Yes, it looks nice on that sunny day, but it is populated with a handful of elderly people, and is clearly described as having been renovated with grant money. If IoMG could achieve similar results for the outlay of 1p, I'm sure they would be a little less hesitant about investing in it.

From the comments it seems one of the most enjoyed aspects is the unspoilt coastline...

Archived