Ramsey Grammar School Leavers Video

spencer

My message to the creators - keep it up, and ignore these miserable gits who try and knock you for having fun. As per another thread, maybe RGS is one of the jewels in the crown of Ramsey. Let them, and every other school that makes a fun video, have their moment. Some of this forum is sitting there ready to knock everthing, and that is sad. No wonder they live on the Isle of Man and boast that the best thing about it is the 'countryside' ie. the bit they had nothing to do with.

School leavers are the future. Once they go to the UK and Uni, you never get them back. And that's why when you look in the higher positions in the Manx government, you can see people you went to school with who were not that bright, or that great at anything. In my school year, I had ten, maybe 12 great minds with great ideas. None of them now live on the Isle of Man. A whole raft of 15-16 year olds who left with nothing other than a GCSE in getting up in time are now in charge of the Island.

Go figure.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
School leavers are the future. Once they go to the UK and Uni, you never get them back. And that's why when you look in the higher positions in the Manx government, you can see people you went to school with who were not that bright, or that great at anything. In my school year, I had ten, maybe 12 great minds with great ideas. None of them now live on the Isle of Man. A whole raft of 15-16 year olds who left with nothing other than a GCSE in getting up in time are now in charge of the Island.

Easy on the old hyperbole there! Plenty of people return to the Island after university, and those who don't probably better reasons than those dastardly curmudgeons always trying to drag the kidz down. Also, I'm willing to bet you that you didn't have 12 "great minds" in your school year. No offense to them, I'm sure they're just super, but great minds? With all that entails?

Yes there's been some criticism, and yes there's been some less than favourable opinions of the video itself, mine included, but let's try to keep this in proportion. The kids had a bit of fun and that's smashing, but fun is it's own reward . It's not something that's commendible or particularly worthy of note, much less admiration, and no one goes around congratulating people for wearing a smile on their face, or for obviously enjoying a game of football in the park. Yet this thing has ended up in the papers and has been pretty heavily sold on here, under the local news section no less, where naturally it's going to be judged according to criteria other than "isn't it lovely to see young people having a good time?". The moral of the story is this: If you want to have fun, have fun. If you want to have fun and soak up some praise, then show the product of your work to friends and family. Just don't show it to a bunch of strangers squealing about the big fonny what you did//found and then get the hump when not everyone agrees about how great it is.

Finally, has the criticism really been that bad to drag up the spectre of young talent fleeing the Island with a tear soaked chip on their shoulder and nothing but bad things to say about the motherland? Ean questioned the wisdom of a teacher mimicking drug use in something that was going to end up in the public domain, and said it wasn't particularly original. Is that really so awful or contentious? The latter is pretty much a given since the video was composed as a response to another school that had done exactly the same thing. I, in less considerate terms, found it cheesy: in other words I was not entertained by this super awsome entertaining thing everyone's been invited to watch and comment upon here. It's pretty tame criticism, and even if it weren't, well little can be said in that case other than welcome to the world of internet forums.

If criticism has been less than generous in some cases, and I'm not sure why you should expect it to be otherwise, there has also been an overreaction to that criticism. We're not exactly pissing on a five year old's macaroni pictures or kicking over a toddler's sandcastles.

Oh dear.............this was supposed to make you smile. For goodness sake, it's just a bit of fun!!! For those of you that analysed the sh*t out of the video......just watch it without your Mary Whitehouse glasses on, try putting your Paul Whitehouse glasses on. :D

Why don't you just employ Godwin's Law and be done with it. Look I'm not Satan, i respect that a lot of hard work has gone into that video (especially if it was just one year 13 editing and creating it, that's a lot of time on your own and shows dedication) and I'm not trying to bring down the people who were in it, of course they're going to enjoy watching it, they know everyone in it, it shows their teachers in a different light and is fun for them. My question was "why is it news?" and nobody has answered that. You've all just got hysterical over people not liking it "U HAZ TO LIKEZ OUR VIDEOEZ".

My question was "why is it news?" and nobody has answered that.

It is surely as newsworthy as 98.2% of the rest of the stuff in an Isle of Man newspaper / radio report, the crux of most of them is 'bloke does stuff' or 'girl gets thing'. Here the story is 'kids made stuff'. Why not?

Archived