Dot Anti Tourism Initiative

cheeky boy

It is an old Douglas Corporation Bye Law that prevents the Parking of commercial vehicles on the Douglas prom between the months of May through September. A few years ago the law was tested by the owner of the little Hotel next to the Queens Pub, for a time Commercial vehicles were again stopped from parking at this end of the prom but after a year it was all forgot about.

Before this law can be acted upon I feel it may now have to go back to Tynwald as the DOT introduced a scheme that allows commercial vehicles to park on the prom as long as the owners of the vehicle displays the company name and has paid up front for Prepaid parking scratch cards that allow for parking in all disk areas except disabled zones.

It is also against the law to park commercial vehicles in some of the Islands Housing estates, but this law is never enforced by the Police or Parking wardens.

I said in an earlier reply that the prepaid scratch cards that are obtained from the DOT allowed for parking in disk zones, I'm now informed that the DOT have issued a new type of scratch card which restricts the areas allowed for parking by vans. The prom is an L permit area which is cars only. The DOT have also tightened up on who get these cards the vehicles that use them must have a company name and phone number displayed on the van and the companies have to registered with the DOT, also the use of Strand street by vehicles is to be enforced to goods vehicles only and no cars.

Latest directive from the lemon squeezer is that parking regulations on the prom are to be enforced to the letter

This means that all vans parked on the prom will be booked, so all those crews who have paid a small fortune to get here for the rally will now be fined if they happen to be staying in a hotel on the prom

Brilliant, we pay one department to attract visitors to the island and another to piss them off when they get here

Joined up government ? my arse

Why bother? Just send a load of Abbeylands residents down to moan at the rally crews. I overheard one girl whinge at one of the marshalls, "My son can't get to his gymnasium...shut in...shut in again....shut in some more after that. Who do I write to? I'm going to complain." Moan, moan, moan.

Archived