[BBC News] Farmers thank island for support

Newsbot

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No wonder B&Q were sold out of emulsion last week :)

is it my imagination/dodgey memory that a farmer used to have a big sign carved into his field near the airport so it was readable from the arriving and departing planes?

looking on google earth there is a big 3 legs at the mery veg treatment works.

Great PR, look at us, it's a great big field full of shit, come to the isle of man, our shit is pretty.

What university did these people go to?

You must be the most miserable person to know. The Farmers union and loads of young farmers do something interesting and different, and single cell creatures like you can say nothing positive about it so you come up with coments like that.

Sad.

So they're the bright fuckers that came up with this safety hazard, not renowned for their intellect then?

I did read the story, I was trying to save some blushes.

Not as if we have much choice is there, milk at inflated prices to save the farmers, importation of meat banned to protect the farmers, bread at high prices to protect the farmers.

Why do they need protecting, let them survive in a competitive environment, allow all imports and see who wins the battle of the tills. If their produce is that good they will survive in the face of competition.

Why is bread so dear when the wheat travels about 10 miles? Someone is living off the fat of the land alright.

As you can probably surmise I am not a farmer, nor related to one so I do expect some criticism of my views on the subject of farming. Yes I know sod all about farming and have never dated a farmer of his daughter/son so my views are rooted in ignorance and jealousy. Please educate me otherwise by answering this posting with insightful suggestions as to what I should do with my spare time.

So they're the bright fuckers that came up with this safety hazard, not renowned for their intellect then?

Not as if we have much choice is there, milk at inflated prices to save the farmers, importation of meat banned to protect the farmers, bread at high prices to protect the farmers.

Why do they need protecting, let them survive in a competitive environment, allow all imports and see who wins the battle of the tills. If their produce is that good they will survive in the face of competition.

Why is bread so dear when the wheat travels about 10 miles? Someone is living off the fat of the land alright.

As you can probably surmise I am not a farmer, nor related to one so I do expect some criticism of my views on the subject of farming. Yes I know sod all about farming and have never dated a farmer of his daughter/son so my views are rooted in ignorance and jealousy. Please educate me otherwise by answering this posting with insightful suggestions as to what I should do with my spare time.

I'm with skrappey on the subsidy point. If they can't make money from their job, they need to do what everyone else does, and get a job where they can

I'm with skrappey on the subsidy point. If they can't make money from their job, they need to do what everyone else does, and get a job where they can

I just don't get the blind stupidity of some people. It does not matter if they (the farmers) become millionaires from there jobs or fail on their arses, they are totaly required by all of us. Without them the countryside will be left to fend by itself and we will become 100% relient on the outside world. Tesco rules. this theory is fine untill SPCo has a failed boat for a couple of days, or god forbid a strike. Its quite simple, no farms no food. I am NOT a farmer, nor would I want to be one. But I totaly respect them, a very good friend of mine is one and the hours he does per week would give an average person on an average hourly rate a bloody good wage.

Many pay nearly £1 for a bottle of water yet call 53p for a pint of milk 'inflated'!!! Work out what the farmer actually receives from that? Try harvesting for profit when a tractor can go through more than £150 per day on fuel. Imports are great until external factors affect price or availability. Your ignorance of the Islands farming community is nauseating - next time you visit the areas with livestock and crops contained in green fenced areas known as fields why not pop along to the place known as a farm and actually bother to ask what goes on before plying us all with your ignorance. ;)

The sign, I have to say, doesn't strike me as the best use of time and resources though! Why not spend the cash resurrecting the 3 legs in the hillside at Knockaloe which was always a nice feature and much more lasting no doubt.

I admitted my total ignorance of farming so why the nausea? How much do you know about heavy vehicle repair and maintenance?

As for people paying £1 for a bottle of water, are they mad?

I have respect for farm workers as well, nothing wrong with what they actually do, damn site more useful than financial sector workers for sure. I don't understand why milk needs to cost so much. Tesco sell milk at about 40p a litre, it travels hundreds of miles from farms in a different country, across a sea and into the store and still sells for that price, ours travels about 10 miles to a packaging plant then 10 miles to a store, costs 3 times as much. Please explain why.

I admitted my total ignorance of farming so why the nausea? How much do you know about heavy vehicle repair and maintenance?

As for people paying £1 for a bottle of water, are they mad?

I have respect for farm workers as well, nothing wrong with what they actually do, damn site more useful than financial sector workers for sure. I don't understand why milk needs to cost so much. Tesco sell milk at about 40p a litre, it travels hundreds of miles from farms in a different country, across a sea and into the store and still sells for that price, ours travels about 10 miles to a packaging plant then 10 miles to a store, costs 3 times as much. Please explain why.

I bet I know more about heavy vehicle repair and maintenance than you do about simple economics. Oh and that's why, simple economics.

Archived