Iom Full Members Of Commonwealth & Flying The Flag?

Keith

Question in UK Parliament...

http://www.parliament.the-stationery-offic.../80710-0013.htm

(begins three-quarters of way down page, continues in next section)

While a very flattering question, was there a reason for it? Is there a push for full Commonwealth membership? While flying the flag at Trooping of the Colour may be nice, if you like that sort of thing, and laying a wreath at the Cenotaph would be a good mark of respect, this does appear to me to be an odd question unless I'm missing something? (I will admit to not understanding the more complex (ie dull) workings of parliaments).

I will also admit to not being able to find Hansard for Tynwald, which is what I was actually looking for when I found the above???

While a very flattering question, was there a reason for it? Is there a push for full Commonwealth membership?

I don't think it was a push for full Commonwealth membership so much as more direct representation and involvement for the crown dependencies when it comes to the big Commonwealth meetings between heads of state. I can't say what role Tynwald has in this issue being put forward in Parliament, but that's how I interpreted it. It's not such a bad idea, but as the Minister for Justice states, it would require the dependencies to be fully sovereign states under the present terms of Commonwealth membership, and I don't see them changing those any time soon just for us.

I will also admit to not being able to find Hansard for Tynwald, which is what I was actually looking for when I found the above???

I think Hansard is available on the Tynwald Website

Thanks Kevster. I can find a link to Hansards but last week's Tynwald doesn't appear to be listed. I was looking for the verbal answers to questions tabled. The last Hansards I can see is LC 24th June. Does anyone know where else I could look? (or am I missing it on Tynwald site?)

UK MP Andrew Rosindell's gushing lately about the Isle of Man is nothing short of embarrassing.

Either he has an awful lot of money invested over here or he is completely naive as to how we operate and what we are all about.

Archived