[BBC News] Manx jail's tough stance on drugs

Newsbot

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How is this news? surely prisons take a hard line on any illegal activities. What is this public declaration all about this time?

Probably just the usual 'We've got a new place' blurb and the chance to say that they have more vacancies now.

I suppose that people can't say that 'they've not been warned' :rolleyes:

5.2 metres high wall. The form that makes the wall (offices in Ramsey BTW) quote it as being 6.2 metres.

Who's stolen a metre of wall?

maybe 1 metre is buried to stop the escape committee tunnelling out :)

is it an american 'Jail' or a British 'Gaol' :P

As I understand this story, it's to remind those incarcerated for a spell that it's not big and/or clever to import drugs to the jail/gaol.

Chap got an extra six stretch for 'fishing' for a package...he probably thought they'd just be fairly cross about it. So I think it IS newsworthy.

Edited to add: If I was in charge (sighs of relief from the underworld that I'm not) I'd have American-style visitor facilities - perspex screens and phones to talk on - absolutely NO physical contact allowed. That way you'd know that if drugs WERE getting in, it would be a bent staff matter.

Edited to add: If I was in charge (sighs of relief from the underworld that I'm not) I'd have American-style visitor facilities - perspex screens and phones to talk on - absolutely NO physical contact allowed. That way you'd know that if drugs WERE getting in, it would be a bent staff matter.

Not necessarily :)

As I understand this story, it's to remind those incarcerated for a spell that it's not big and/or clever to import drugs to the jail/gaol.

Chap got an extra six stretch for 'fishing' for a package...he probably thought they'd just be fairly cross about it. So I think it IS newsworthy.

You know that Civil Liberties will be tracking your computer down Stu :lol:

Apparently the staff will also be searched

Prison dog searches link

Quote from link 'A passive drugs dog helps search people, both prisoners and visitors plus staff at the prison'

Only right too :ph34r:

Not so, the lack of contact could help, but there are people ( losers ) out there that deliberately get nicked with the sole intention of smuggling drugs into jail by ingesting baloons or just popping a few up the freckle. i am led to believe that a cavity search is against their human rights so it doesn't happen, a strip search is done, but that is not the same. there should be no physical contact as you suggest with visitors, remand prisoners ( the back and forth to court brigade ) should be held in a totally different isolated area so no passing of drugs can take place, and once sentenced to jail/gaol every convict should have an xray to show they are 'empty' before being admitted. those that are carrying should be isolated untill nature has taken it's course and prosecuted for possesion with intent to supply on top of what ever else they have done.

Archived