[BBC News] Travellers face new border checks

Newsbot

do the Irish still transport cash by courier into the Island

Well this is the interesting point isn't it. Recently the IOM fell in line with the EU making it necessary for you to declare any cash you carry if its E 10,000 or more.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/isle_of_man/7397815.stm

Similar EU laws already apply in the UK and Ireland so its a pretty neat job by the UK Gov - take peoples overt racism and mistrust of illegal immigrants and make sure the ensuing legislation makes it harder for people to put money in low tax jurisdictions. It works every time.

Not to mention tracking us all to see how many days we spend in the UK so they can try and assess us on that as well.

As I read this the UK are effectively chucking Southern Ireland out of the Common Travel Area.

However . . . You can travel from Dublin through the Isle of Man to the UK.

So how does this affect us? Someone in the Chief Secretaries office must be going to work with a large headache these days.

soooo..when travelling IoM <-> Heysham, not involving Ireland, no change?

Well you would think wouldn't you? But it's easy enough to travel to the Isle of Man and then book a ticket to the UK.

So therefore, I am puzzled about how they are going to deal with this and other anomalous situations.

Anyway, it all sounds like another cock up in the waiting with software crashes, lost data and aggressive jobsworths. I think we'll just take out holidays in Port Erin and forget about the UK and Ireland altogether!

As I read this the UK are effectively chucking Southern Ireland out of the Common Travel Area.

However . . . You can travel from Dublin through the Isle of Man to the UK.

So how does this affect us? Someone in the Chief Secretaries office must be going to work with a large headache these days.

Ireland and UK have been discussing this change for some time as it was mentioned in the Irish papers 12 months ago. This could be Ireland's opportunity to join the Shengen area and get away from the limitations on free movement in the EU caused by the CTA. Frankly though I can't see them stopping every car passing between the Republic and NI.

Presumably as far as the IOM is concerned it would only affect travel originating in the Republic not NI - assuming the IOM authorities see themeselves as an extension of the UK ones.

Presumably as far as the IOM is concerned it would only affect travel originating in the Republic not NI - assuming the IOM authorities see themeselves as an extension of the UK ones.

Cheers for that. Call me cynic but I really doubt the Isle of Man will emerge unscathed from these changes. If the UK are going to start a programme of checking up on peoples travel movements accross the British Isles I bet we will get caught up in it somehow. It just fits with the general pattern of the creeping Big Brother state.

Time to do some digging around and find out what's going on . . .

2014 - some time off.

Given the rate of change in the United Kingdom by 2014 there may not be a 'UK' as we know it. Some arrangements may have to be worked out on how to handle travel between the independent countries of England and Scotland (maybe Wales) as well as Ireland, Northern Ireland and the 'crown dependencies'.

It could be a lot more sensible in this timeframe for the various countries in the current UK to join the Shengen area. This would certainly be a preferred path in Ireland.

Tony Brown : "We will come to some arrangement with the UK"

Yeah right Tony. Do you think the UK will give a monkeys (not the word that originally came to mind) about the IOM when drafting this legislation? No they will just do what they want and we will have to fit in and show our new ID cards on arrival in the UK.....

Whatever your political persuasions most people agree that the UK Gov are control freaks and will continue to be so.

This is all very smelly. I cannot help but think that we are being softened up for some kind of intrusive monitoring and checking of our travel plans. On Friday's mandate Tony Brown pointed out that the Isle of Man is a through route from Ireland to the UK. If they want to monitor people on this route then that means Isle of Man residents will have to prove their identity along with all other travellers. We have had visitors from across who, like many local residents, have neither passports or driving licences. How will they fare under these arrangements?

At some stage in all this someone has got to come clean and break the bad news - we will soon no longer be free to to travel accross without the UK checking us first. The jobsworths in the UK will love this

Archived