Public Signs In Foreign Languages?

Cronky

Manx Radio: Safety message in Polish

The Fire Service is taking a new approach to putting out the safety message around the Isle of Man. A Polish speaking volunteer is translating information for people from the Eastern European country who may have difficulties understanding English. Maggie has been on the Island for three years and believes it's a very positive step.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I note this is by a 'volunteer', but translations cost a fortune in the UK, especially for government paperwork. I hope this isn't the start on the same old costly slippery slope.

I think there's also been a bit of a backlash in the UK about producing leaflets in every language going. The attitude seems to be more now 'let them learn English'.

If I went on holiday and all the signs were in the native language only I would be properly lost. Perhaps we should start making signs in all languages, its a good idea. Polish wouldnt be my first choice though, maybe Chinese, Arabic or French - hell why not make them in all 3?

Best idea the forum has had for weeks I tell theee.

If I went on holiday and all the signs were in the native language only I would be properly lost. Perhaps we should start making signs in all languages, its a good idea. Polish wouldnt be my first choice though, maybe Chinese, Arabic or French - hell why not make them in all 3?

Best idea the forum has had for weeks I tell theee.

With all the languages in the world and all the people that visit the island - each sign would have to be about 50 feet high.

Though I would be more happy with this, if the signs say e.g. 'Immigrant pensioners - f**k off we're full - turn back now'.

I note this is by a 'volunteer', but translations cost a fortune in the UK, especially for government paperwork. I hope this isn't the start on the same old costly slippery slope.

I think there's also been a bit of a backlash in the UK about producing leaflets in every language going. The attitude seems to be more now 'let them learn English'.

here here. if people really feel compelled to hang onto their native language be it polish, german, french, indian or what ever then they should bloody well stay in their own country. Expecting other countries to make allowances for them incurs unreasonable costs and diverts resources from essential services.

I'm suprised all you Manxies haven't complained that all the signs are already translated into a second language - you know English, those fuckers you lot hate so much <_<

We already have a universally understood, and of course very portable, hand-signal for that.

here here. if people really feel compelled to hang onto their native language be it polish, german, french, indian or what ever then they should bloody well stay in their own country. Expecting other countries to make allowances for them incurs unreasonable costs and diverts resources from essential services.

Yet when you're on holiday on the continent I bet you're pretty grateful most signs are in English...

Yet when you're on holiday on the continent I bet you're pretty grateful most signs are in English...

Here Here.

I had to laugh when Man U and Chelski played the CL final in Moscow and they were all bleating on about the fact the metro signs etc were in cyrillic! The Horror!

It's worth bearing in mind that this only applies where English speakers tend to go: airports, tourist resorts etc. It's not throughout Europe.

So I guess that's the rule we've adopted here - we've got "links fahren" messages on the TT course because enough of our biker/TT visitors are German for it to be worth doing for road safety.

I am all for having roadsigns in the native language as well as some others, i visited Wales last year, a lovley place called Dangergoslow. The people were a bit rude though, i was driving along and everyone kept beeping and shouting at me. It was hard to hear what they were saying as i was doing 50 at the time.

It's worth bearing in mind that this only applies where English speakers tend to go: airports, tourist resorts etc. It's not throughout Europe.

So I guess that's the rule we've adopted here - we've got "links fahren" messages on the TT course because enough of our biker/TT visitors are German for it to be worth doing for road safety.

I thought they political slogans for Amadeus

Archived