Public Signs In Foreign Languages?

Cronky

I'm suprised all you Manxies haven't complained that all the signs are already translated into a second language - you know English, those fuckers you lot hate so much <_<

I am a come/stop over and it has always surprised me that signs in the IoM are not universally in both English and Manx although it has improved in recent years slightly. OK strictly it would be fine if they were just in English but as least the IoM would not look to anybody visiting like just anoher rural English county.

It would also in my opinion be a better use of the money spent on the Manx language as if we had all bilingual signs we would probably all pick up a few manx words. I would suggest that the majority of us know the Manx for Water just from seeing it on the vans of the water authority get

After that well anything is just a courtesy gesture. OK we should do in respect of information leaflets etc if we want to attract foreign tourists and new residents etc. After that it is coutesy and I do believe residents in a country should make an effort to adapt to that country, the language etc and not live in little communities. That applies equally to the Brits in Spain who basically try to create forthemslves alittle bit of England by the sea.

Even visiting I believe there is a duty upon visitors, especially if driving, and I was amazed recently to see a snatch of a TV programme where Btitish drivers were interviewed on a cross channel ferry and it was almost as if the majority had not even had a quick check at any driving requirements, signs etc in France and they just expected the pictures etc to be idetacle to those in the UK but with any wording in French

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The two basic skills that people in the world need to find employment are the ability to understand English and the ability to use a computer

Making it easier for non-English speakers to get by in this country is really only blighting their chances of advancement in the future

Never thought I'd say it but, we could learn a few things from the Welsh here.

There, police cars have 'police in Welsh written on them, Hedduu I think, the idea that a police car looks like a police car no, matter what is written on it. Same for the ambulances (ambwlans?). Road signs and direction signs the same.

Why not here, it would look cool and give visitors a real sense of 'abroad' and heighten the fact of separateness we would like to encourage. Some street signs are having Manx added, apart from the joke dandara ones that use a strange mix of Irish and Manx. These should have both languages on them to allow for non Manx speakers to 'translate back' to English, eventually the Manx will be prominent.

Wait for the normal renewal period of all these things and instigate the Manx words on renewal, cost effective.

Should have been done years ago.

I'm not absolutely happy with the idea of multiple languages on signage, as has been said, why come here if you don't expect to need to have a rudimentary knowledge of the languages used here? For me it's part of the whole experience in any country.

I note this is by a 'volunteer', but translations cost a fortune in the UK, especially for government paperwork. I hope this isn't the start on the same old costly slippery slope.

I think there's also been a bit of a backlash in the UK about producing leaflets in every language going. The attitude seems to be more now 'let them learn English'.

here here. if people really feel compelled to hang onto their native language be it polish, german, french, indian or what ever then they should bloody well stay in their own country. Expecting other countries to make allowances for them incurs unreasonable costs and diverts resources from essential services.

Yet when you're on holiday on the continent I bet you're pretty grateful most signs are in English...

Here Here.

I had to laugh when Man U and Chelski played the CL final in Moscow and they were all bleating on about the fact the metro signs etc were in cyrillic! The Horror!

You mean "Hear, hear!"

Why not here, it would look cool and give visitors a real sense of 'abroad' and heighten the fact of separateness we would like to encourage. Some street signs are having Manx added, apart from the joke dandara ones that use a strange mix of Irish and Manx. These should have both languages on them to allow for non Manx speakers to 'translate back' to English, eventually the Manx will be prominent.

Douglas has had a number of its road signs in both Manx and English for years - Raad York, etc. Not sure what percentage of all signage they make up though.

I'm not absolutely happy with the idea of multiple languages on signage, as has been said, why come here if you don't expect to need to have a rudimentary knowledge of the languages used here? For me it's part of the whole experience in any country.

The principal behind not including translations on signs and other forms of public information is fair enough, but in practical terms we have a substantial number of people living here whose first language is not English and for whom it's simply prudent to provide a translation in certain circumstances.

I think it's important to bear in mind two points on this:

1. In this case the translation is not appearing on signs, etc. It's a leaflet on fire safety. Plenty of people who's written English is good enough to understand things like basic road signs and instructions, and who's spoken English is more that adequate for the purposes of basic communication may still have difficulty understanding fairly large blocks of text such as fire safety leaflets.

2. This instance is not, as far as I know, part of official government policy, but a voluntary scheme initiated by the Fire service itself.

Slow down on the signs. I'm no serious linguistician but isn't Manx just a smattering of relatively new words that have somehow grown out of the practice of a small group of old blokes grunting nonsensical gibberish to each other within earshot of the tourist for intimidation purposes? I don't know anyone who's actually fluent.

Slow down on the signs. I'm no serious linguistician but isn't Manx just a smattering of relatively new words that have somehow grown out of the practice of a small group of old blokes grunting nonsensical gibberish to each other within earshot of the tourist for intimidation purposes? I don't know anyone who's actually fluent.

Not surprised about your last point. As for your understanding of basic English, you can't just make up words and expect to get them accepted.

Archived