[ M R News ] And [ I O M Today News ]

%age

In fairness I did suggest to the mods a while ago that MR news could probably be 'botted' but there's a problem (currently being sorted allegedly) with the RSS feed indexing everything since The Big Bang and it all being a bit unwieldy.

We looked at the MR feed last year after their relaunch and basically the way the RSS feed there is implemented is flawed and it doesn't work. I'd rather have the MR feed than the BBC but that's out of our control.

The IOM News one was crap quality in my view.

There's only room for one feed though as there would be lots of duplication.

I've never been a fan of the news feeds at all. Occasionally it sparks a good discussion, but more commonly it just floods the Local News section with stories that no one cares about and shunts other threads that are active into the dread limbo of internet forums: the second page. I always felt the Local News section was pretty active as it was before newsbot; since people tended to start threads on whatever caught their attention in the newspapers or on the radio I never really saw the point in having a dedicated service creating threads for every single news story.

To be fair though, it was [bBC Newsbot] that brought us the story about the missing skateboard, which they managed to scoop before Stu Peters and Co. even had a chance to put together an announcement and an interview for Manx Radio Mandate.

We try and merge threads where there's duplication.

If MR got their RSS feed sorted it would be better as it's of a higher quality and it's usually more timely.

manx radio news site on the net is sooooo slow - you can hear something in the news and go and check it out on the net and its not even on their news site. Waste of time. That young lad that was missing on Friday was missing and found before it was on the mr site!!

I'm sure you'll notice some major improvements over the coming couple of months.

Remember that the MR website was never our principle medium, although it clearly has a growing significance in how people disseminate our output these days. Hence the imminent improvements.

I wasn't on hand much to upload stories on Friday morning, but was asked by a colleague mid-morning if I'd posted the story about the missing boy. When I said I hadn't, he said not to bother as the young shaver had been found...

If MR got their RSS feed sorted it would be better as it's of a higher quality and it's usually more timely.

I agree with that.

The BBC gives us lots of spam and a little entertainment.

The "news" item about being careful your bicycle doesn't get stolen was not very popular but the one about the skateboard got lots of reads.

post-2735-1217234516_thumb.jpg

Archived