Travel Lodge, Summerland/aquadrome And Earnshaw...

cassettiespagetie

I agree with the Aquadrome pool being far superior to that pile of crap they call a National Sports Centre, I don't go, the freezing water is a little off putting, not to mention the illnesses you get every time you go. Badminton or bowling as a family day out?

Oi! NSC is one of the best short course pools I've trained and competed in. Constant depth, clear with good contrast, 2.5m wide lanes. It's fast water, that's for sure!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Living on the island at my age of 15, I find there is almost NOTHING to do apart from getting pissed. Please dont say be 'Creative :D ' because the majority of young people arn't and that won't change any time soon. I would have thought that the Govt. would have figured that out by now...

When I was little I seemed to always go to Summerland and go swimming in the Aquadrome and it was so much fun... and I believe that the younger kids now would have enjoyed that just as much as I did, but instead of what I had, they have that shitty dragons castle and that dirty hole named the NSC...

My older brother and sister seemed to go to summerland and the Jungle world arcade thingy allot (Weren't there like bumper cars there at one point ?)... why doesn't the Dept of tourism and leisure look back at there records and see how much cash they are missing out on.

Living on the island at my age of 15, I find there is almost NOTHING to do apart from getting pissed. Please dont say be 'Creative :D ' because the majority of young people arn't and that won't change any time soon. I would have thought that the Govt. would have figured that out by now...

Don't knock it, you've got a ready made excuse should you get caught drinking. When I was 15 we had Summerland, the Aquadrome, the Crescent, youth clubs aplenty, a billion cinemas, magical dolphins that could grant wishes, and an abundance of pirate treasure just waiting to be discovered by plucky young whippersnappers like ourselves. Even with all these wonderous entertainments we still preferred getting pissed.

I agree with the Aquadrome pool being far superior to that pile of crap they call a National Sports Centre, I don't go, the freezing water is a little off putting, not to mention the illnesses you get every time you go. Badminton or bowling as a family day out?

Oi! NSC is one of the best short course pools I've trained and competed in. Constant depth, clear with good contrast, 2.5m wide lanes. It's fast water, that's for sure!

But that is the point, there are very few non-sporty facilities here. Sports are catered for very well, but not so for just ordinary family activities indoors. A bowling alley, roller or ice skating rink with a reasonable family eatery (Franky and Benny's, whilst not haute cuisine, was good for a family meal out) would go down very well. Even a family pub along the lines of Charlie Chalk would be good, with a kids play area while the restaurant had a predictable, but OK, menu. If you took Coasters and supplanted it in the Villa with their play area you would go some way to catering to that need. Except that the play area in the Villa is pathetically small with an obstructed view, so even that purpose-built facility falls short of the mark.

Recently, I have been venturing out more for pub meals at the weekends with the children (well, one 9 year old and a girl of 15) and it would be so good to find somewhere that really did cater for families beyond allowing children in and providing a childrens' menu. Most pubs/eateries in England now, if they have a childrens' menu, will at least provide some crayons and a single sheet of colouring and puzzles. As far as I have experienced, almost none here go that little bit extra to provide some form of diversion for the children to make it a family night out.

I would even go as far as saying I really wouldn't mind going to a poor cousin Hard Rock Cafe type thing which had loud music, lots of screens with music videos playing and various iconic pictures and artefacts around the walls. At least it would be an experience beyond just the food, and while it may not suit families with very little children it would probably go down quite well with most others.

There was an American themed restaurant near where we used to live years ago, the usual stuff, burgers, pizza, ribs, of reasonable quality but the real seller was an American pick up truck in the middle of the restaurant with a table set up on the back and that would be where any birthday child could host their party. That place was banged out all the time, it was vibrant and good fun.

It really is just a bit of thought and from the private sector, not government.

Stop moaning snotty brat and run away to London or something - plenty to do there.

You think thats moaning ? And how am I a 'snotty brat' for suggesting that the government is missing out on money ?

Don't knock it, you've got a ready made excuse should you get caught drinking. When I was 15 we had Summerland, the Aquadrome, the Crescent, youth clubs aplenty, a billion cinemas, magical dolphins that could grant wishes, and an abundance of pirate treasure just waiting to be discovered by plucky young whippersnappers like ourselves. Even with all these wonderous entertainments we still preferred getting pissed.

Lol, yeah thats true! It is a good excuse ...

But that is the point, there are very few non-sporty facilities here. Sports are catered for very well, but not so for just ordinary family activities indoors. A bowling alley, roller or ice skating rink with a reasonable family eatery (Franky and Benny's, whilst not haute cuisine, was good for a family meal out) would go down very well. Even a family pub along the lines of Charlie Chalk would be good, with a kids play area while the restaurant had a predictable, but OK, menu. If you took Coasters and supplanted it in the Villa with their play area you would go some way to catering to that need. Except that the play area in the Villa is pathetically small with an obstructed view, so even that purpose-built facility falls short of the mark.

Recently, I have been venturing out more for pub meals at the weekends with the children (well, one 9 year old and a girl of 15) and it would be so good to find somewhere that really did cater for families beyond allowing children in and providing a childrens' menu. Most pubs/eateries in England now, if they have a childrens' menu, will at least provide some crayons and a single sheet of colouring and puzzles. As far as I have experienced, almost none here go that little bit extra to provide some form of diversion for the children to make it a family night out.

I would even go as far as saying I really wouldn't mind going to a poor cousin Hard Rock Cafe type thing which had loud music, lots of screens with music videos playing and various iconic pictures and artefacts around the walls. At least it would be an experience beyond just the food, and while it may not suit families with very little children it would probably go down quite well with most others.

There was an American themed restaurant near where we used to live years ago, the usual stuff, burgers, pizza, ribs, of reasonable quality but the real seller was an American pick up truck in the middle of the restaurant with a table set up on the back and that would be where any birthday child could host their party. That place was banged out all the time, it was vibrant and good fun.

Wasn't there an American themed restaurant next to the Castle Mona ?

I remember going there on my birthdays when i was younger... Being forced to stand on my chair while people in the restaurant sang happy birthday to me.

Ahh...

I remember going there on my birthdays when i was younger... Being forced to stand on my chair while people in the restaurant sang happy birthday to me.

There have been a few American themed places on the Island, although they've always been a little half hearted: A couple of posters here and there combined with hilarious names on the menu.

Then there's The Ranch, which was, and always will be, awesome.

Stop moaning snotty brat and run away to London or something - plenty to do there.

You think thats moaning ? And how am I a 'snotty brat' for suggesting that the government is missing out on money ?

Ahh...

As a parent of a kid your age and a younger one I feel complelled to impart some knowledge of what the places you so long for were actually like. Manx Land, and Crescent were shitty holes where parents would cringe at the amount of dirt and puke and their kids were rolling about in, most of those sorts of "entertainment" were privately run and all were expensive - great for parties but you couldn't afford to send your kids there every day, in fact if you did they'd get bored with them very quickly and you'd be broke.

All that aside you should be in bed asleep at 2am in the morning not taping out your life on a PC. By the time you wake up the day will be wasted. I've got a 10 year old with more get up and go than you have, bike rides, fishing, swimming, beach, rowing boats on Mooragh Lake, building go carts with mates and we know where he is all the time. He's not sloping round the house all day and won't be spending his future years getting pissed in the streets.

Get a life, or even better beg your parents to kick some sense into your arse and switch your computer off at a decent hour.

Most pubs/eateries in England now, if they have a childrens' menu, will at least provide some crayons and a single sheet of colouring and puzzles. As far as I have experienced, almost none here go that little bit extra to provide some form of diversion for the children to make it a family night out.

Paparazzi & Coasters do this, both good places to take the kids.

Vinnie: Basically my point is when summerland was closed, and replaced with a combination of the villa and the NSC, the replacements didn't add up to the original that was removed. The NSC is great, I'm a big fan, but it's only got 1.5 halls where summerland had 2 + the piazza level for stuff like rollerskating and the villa has a smaller play area and cinema. We're worse off, and we've a larger population so I think it's reasonable to expect those missing facilities to be replaced.

Granny Grains says

Get a life, or even better beg your parents to kick some sense into your arse and switch your computer off at a decent hour

It is the summer holidays. Thats a bit harsh even from you grumpy pants.

Do these American themed places allow you to shoot at other members of your party and barge your way onto other tables insisting they adopt your ways of doing things then leaving looking like some obese hippo

Ahh...

As a parent of a kid your age and a younger one I feel complelled to impart some knowledge of what the places you so long for were actually like. Manx Land, and Crescent were shitty holes where parents would cringe at the amount of dirt and puke and their kids were rolling about in, most of those sorts of "entertainment" were privately run and all were expensive - great for parties but you couldn't afford to send your kids there every day, in fact if you did they'd get bored with them very quickly and you'd be broke.

All that aside you should be in bed asleep at 2am in the morning not taping out your life on a PC. By the time you wake up the day will be wasted. I've got a 10 year old with more get up and go than you have, bike rides, fishing, swimming, beach, rowing boats on Mooragh Lake, building go carts with mates and we know where he is all the time. He's not sloping round the house all day and won't be spending his future years getting pissed in the streets.

Get a life, or even better beg your parents to kick some sense into your arse and switch your computer off at a decent hour.

Actually... It was at 1 AM not 2 AM.... : )

Do these American themed places allow you to shoot at other members of your party and barge your way onto other tables insisting they adopt your ways of doing things then leaving looking like some obese hippo

I do hope so!

I only refer to US themed restaurants as that seems to be the trend over the water.

• 2 weeks later...

From the newspapers today the DTL are still punting for someone to develop the Summerland site, explaining that they have no funding to do anything with it themselves, but nobody can do anything with it until they get that cliff face sorted out, and they don't seem to want to deal with the residents who own the top of the cliffs, so they are totally wasting their time and anyone else who gets tempted into wasting more time looking at the white elephant site.

just give up and turn it into a park and ride for heaven's sake !

Archived