Travel Lodge, Summerland/aquadrome And Earnshaw...

cassettiespagetie

From the newspapers today the DTL are still punting for someone to develop the Summerland site, explaining that they have no funding to do anything with it themselves, but nobody can do anything with it until they get that cliff face sorted out, and they don't seem to want to deal with the residents who own the top of the cliffs, so they are totally wasting their time and anyone else who gets tempted into wasting more time looking at the white elephant site.

just give up and turn it into a park and ride for heaven's sake !

I never considered a park and ride before and I can see some merits if you combine a multi story car park with shuttle buses looping certain areas (maybe a bus lane?). The sea spray might be a problem however and although there's ways round that, it would be more costly to maintain, unless you added the following below and placed the car park at the rear?

At the front, have something for teens upwards, like a youth club, inside ski slope, children's play areas, themed cafeteria, business rooms and maybe a few executive apartments on the top floor.

The strange thing is, I've seen stacks of people write volumes on this forum and there are some very creative and artistic minds about. I'm sure we could come up with some interesting ideas and suggestions :thumbsup:

For instance, Tempus Fugit mentioned a park and ride scheme.

I mentioned (at the rear) a multi storey car park.

I personally think that both could be utilized and I'm therefore enquiring as to what you think of the initial suggestions?

If you think that they're ok to start with, then what can be added next?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From the newspapers today the DTL are still punting for someone to develop the Summerland site, explaining that they have no funding to do anything with it themselves, but nobody can do anything with it until they get that cliff face sorted out, and they don't seem to want to deal with the residents who own the top of the cliffs, so they are totally wasting their time and anyone else who gets tempted into wasting more time looking at the white elephant site.

I can't understand why the people at the top of the cliff are being obstructionist? Maybe they think if the remenents are removed their houses will suddenly become prom-side.

The strange thing is, I've seen stacks of people write volumes on this forum and there are some very creative and artistic minds about. I'm sure we could come up with some interesting ideas and suggestions :thumbsup:

Why not read this very thread?

I can't understand why the people at the top of the cliff are being obstructionist? Maybe they think if the remenents are removed their houses will suddenly become prom-side.

Quite simple I think. If a survey is carried out and the cliff face is deemed unsafe or unstable the price of their properties will plummet. It's greed, pure and simple. If they obstruct the survey long enough to offload their houses they will be happy and moved to safety (financially that is)

Quite simple I think. If a survey is carried out and the cliff face is deemed unsafe or unstable the price of their properties will plummet. It's greed, pure and simple. If they obstruct the survey long enough to offload their houses they will be happy and moved to safety (financially that is)

I think it's simpler even than that. Why would you want any sort of facility under your flash, cliffside home. Anything whatsoever will increase the traffic in your locale, a pool will smell of chlorine, a nightclub will be noisy, so will anything with a nice play area outside. Far better to have a nice empty space - not much chance of disturbance from that

I think the government should build a 'shell' facility - various parts of which can be leased out to businesses at reasonable rates, wanting to set up the likes of a bowling alley, sports centre, cinema, play areas, coffee shops, restaurant, TT museum, even a community centre etc. etc. i.e. do something for the whole island. Reduced rents are the only way to get such facilities here IMO.

Can anyone confirm whether Geoff Tracy has been looking at the site as a potential replacement for Tracy island? I understand it's deemed an ideal site, as apparently increasing fuel costs make flying Thunderbirds everywhere from a remote pacific atoll very expensive these days, and secure, as few people know where the Isle of Man is and have little reason to come here these days.

Can anyone confirm whether Geoff Tracy has been looking at the site as a potential replacement for Tracy island? I understand it's deemed an ideal site, as apparently increasing fuel costs make flying Thunderbirds everywhere from a remote pacific atoll very expensive these days, and secure, as few people know where the Isle of Man is and have little reason to come here these days.

So that's what has come of the islands plan to be a leader in space & satellite technology, not just somewhere for satellite leasing companies to base their head office for tax reasons! :ph34r:

I think the government should build a 'shell' facility - various parts of which can be leased out to businesses at reasonable rates, wanting to set up the likes of a bowling alley, sports centre, cinema, play areas, coffee shops, restaurant, TT museum, even a community centre etc. etc. i.e. do something for the whole island. Reduced rents are the only way to get such facilities here IMO.

Maybe he's already here as it might explain why the new roundabout at Quarterbridge is so big? I just hope the top doesn't slide back in rush hour :)

Loads of nice ideas re ski slopes, skate rinks, big indoor play areas etc. All would be lovely.

The fact is we don't have the population to support any of these. I think the population is around 86,000, knock of a few for the people who have homes here they barely use. Disregard the high proportion who are relatively elderly and won't use such facilities. There's less left than most towns in the UK. Now consider that in what should be the busy times, ie school holidyas, loads of families clear off the island and it's not going to work.

As nice as it would be to have these things, they need to be commercially viable. I don't have any figures but I'm sure from the times I went there the bowling at the Castle Mona couldn't have made much and I guess that without the club and bar upstairs the actual made very little.

I don't have any figures but I'm sure from the times I went there the bowling at the Castle Mona couldn't have made much and I guess that without the club and bar upstairs the actual made very little.

Even then I'd be surprised if it made much. As far as I can recall, Studebakers was usually sparsely populated, having a clientelle made up entirely of the occasional hen party and middle aged men giving them the glad eye.

having a clientelle made up entirely of the occasional hen party and middle aged men giving them the glad eye.

Shouldn't that be sad eye?

Plus they won't have to travel far to find a disaster to sort out. Earnshaw seems to manufacture them on an almost weekly basis.

And a mini brothel??!!

Mind you, the madam would have to discourage Peel and Ramsey enthusiastic amateurs giving it away for free first.

Archived