Crime Hotspot In Port St Mary

manxman2004

Why pray is it tougher to be a teen now? In my day there was very little money about, kids today have everything they could want and more things to do yet they are the worst in terms of behaviour by far.

Yes I would have prefered to grow up nowadays by far.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just because there are more material effects available to children these days dosen't mean they are better off. I don't let my eldest out past 6.30 (she is 12) because the streets are not safe. When I was young I could play out in fields with my friends until the sun went down - building dens and all kinds, kids don't get to do those types of things now. I think its a shame for them.

Parents shouldn't let their children go out without knowing exactly where the child is going to and with whom. People know their children, they should want to protect their children and if that means keeping them in - so be it, play Monopoly or something. There are so many peer pressures too and they ARE starting younger, smoking and drinking at 12? No, because she'd given up smoking by 12. It's a lot harder now than it was, even just 18 years ago. I think the 50's would have been the best time to have lived as a teenager.

I'm sorry but many children still have those freedoms, you are one of the few who are OTT about your childs safety. My two nephews are out in the summer fom morning til dusk, they build gocarts, sledge down grassy hillsides, build dens, play manhunt, all the things I did. They are 5 and 7, and almost all their friends also have the same freedoms.

It actually annoys me to hear people say that streets arent safe, they are, the only thing thats really changed is the amount of traffic. Its still safe to play in fields and glens etc, as safe as it ever was.

peer pressue has always been there, I was smoking at 13, kids mature earlier nowadys so the behaviour that comes with that ie capitulating to peer pressure is bound to come younger too.

I'm sorry but many children still have those freedoms, you are one of the few who are OTT about your childs safety. My two nephews are out in the summer fom morning til dusk, they build gocarts, sledge down grassy hillsides, build dens, play manhunt, all the things I did. They are 5 and 7, and almost all their friends also have the same freedoms.

It actually annoys me to hear people say that streets arent safe, they are, the only thing thats really changed is the amount of traffic. Its still safe to play in fields and glens etc, as safe as it ever was.

Have to say I tend to side more with the bees on this one and I certainly don't think she's in a minority with her views on her child's safety. There's a fine line between being completely overprotective and looking out for your children's general safety. You only have to read the local papers each week to see that it's not as safe as it was 10/15 years ago, if you believe any different then you're pretty naive. In fact in my opinion it's giving children too much freedom that causes many problems nowadays.

My eldest boy is 11 and goes out all the time playing with his mates, but he has a mobile phone and either I ring him every hour or so or vice versa, I always know where he is and I won't let him walk home once dusk falls. My youngest boy is 5 and there's no way I'd let him out from dawn 'til dusk, he has very limited freedom. Of course I let him out to play but he never ventures outside the cul-de-sac where we live. This is not being OTT...........it's being a normal, caring parent!

I doubt it, they probably behave in a completely different manner when their parents are about. People moan too much at teenagers, give em a break

Sorry but that's not the point I don't think. Why should you give them a break if they're going out of their way to behave badly & abusively when they've been asked not to?

I was always brought up to never swear and whilst I do frequently I don't just spout off loads of foul language in front of all & sundry as I have some respect for other peoples' sensitivities to an extent.

The very fact that you say they probably don't behave like this when their parents are around indicates that they know they shouldn't be behaving like that or their parents would have something to say about it. There's nothing 'stuffy' about it - I like swearing, just not when it will cause offence to people who I don't know.

I agree with your safety concerns over kids these days though to a certain extent. :)

There were loads of kids hanging around Micheal Street and Douglas Street in Peel at the weekend. They should have been in the Marine like we would have been at their age. We used to have the odd half of lager and sometimes drank the whole glass!

Sorry but that's not the point I don't think. Why should you give them a break if they're going out of their way to behave badly & abusively when they've been asked not to?

I wasn't blaming the children, I was suggesting their parents should have been with them. Sorry if I didn't make my post clear, I didn't want to waffle on about 'blaming the parents' too much.

Ahh The Marine Manxbird, when I were a lass...... :P

I wasn't blaming the children, I was suggesting their parents should have been with them. Sorry if I didn't make my post clear, I didn't want to waffle on about 'blaming the parents' too much.

Fair enough, but youngsters shouldn't have to be permanently chaperoned in order to behave. If they can only behave well in the presence of their parents then there's a problem.

Well said Cret.

Unfortunately if they are like the dross mentioned earlier then it is likely that their behaviour is down to their parents being somewhat lacking as role models. Until the parents moderate their behaviour and set a good example to follow it is unlikely that the offspring will turn out to be good, honest, decent citizens.

Well said Cret.

Unfortunately if they are like the dross mentioned earlier then it is likely that their behaviour is down to their parents being somewhat lacking as role models.

Quite often true I think but not always. It seems there are some youngsters that have the benefit of the most caring & seemingly perfect upbringing but they still go off the rails for whatever reason despite the best efforts of their parents.

Something like that must be truly dreadful for a parent, to see your own child turning bad and have tried everything you can to help them, or not even have a clue what to do!

I don't understand your fears, if your child is behaving badly then it's quite simple - don't let them out. Parents need to take control of their children. Be fair firm and constant. I'll let you know if it works in a year or two - when my 12 year old is a 15 year old crack dealing whore :blink: .

Archived