*warning* Phone Scam

Virtual_Boy

Recieved a call yesterday (a Sunday) on our landline (unlisted) around 3pm, I answered and a woman asked for my partner by name.

She wasnt home at the time and the woman asked if she could leave a message, she said she was from the bank (gave our correct bank name) and told me it was about her debit card.

She said she needed some details, her to answer her security questions and left a number to call.

I thought it was strange and didnt even bother to write the number down (wish I had now), instead I went online and got the number directly from the website.

When my partner returned she phoned the bank but they had no record of a problem or having tried to contact her, they also told her they would never ask for detials over the phone (unless you were contacting them) but that they would ask her to come into her branch.

Seems to be a very well done and informed scam and one which could easily have been fallen for had my girlfriend been at home.

Just thought I should warn everyone!

I got a similar call once for OH, I called him at work and warned him that someone was trying to access his account. Dead clever of me, I thought.

Turns out it was the bank trying to notify him that someone had hacked his credit card and put £thousands on it! Whoops...

I got an email today seemingly from a friend of mine asking if I could send her some money urgently as she'd lost her handbag, air tickets etc etc. I would have been taken in if it hadn't asked for it to be sent via Western Union to Nigeria (though she does travel a lot!). Hope it wasn't her, as I ignored it.

Update: Girlfriend got an email from RBS secure (used by tesco etc to varify purchases) saying her password had been changed and to contact them if she hadn't changed it.

Anyway, long story short this was also fake.

Bank rang this morning, turns out someone has a copy of her card and has tried to pay over £5000 in multiple transactions into other bank accounts.

Hats off to the bank for catching it so quickly and preventing us from actualy having any money taken.

You did well.

Seems like the safest thing if you get a call is to say that you will call your bank directly to confirm the number given to you.

I wonder how much money is lost with skimming and phishing etc...my bank told me that they recover the money from the retailers (otherwise the retailer will have their Visa/Mastercard facilities withdrawn) so the bank does not normally suffer the loss.

Then you just have to have a bank that lets you call them directly and hope you get someone that can speak the Queens english.

Hear! Hear! I'm always suspicious these days when someone with and English accent calls me from my bank, as whenever I ring I always get through to someone in Bangalore or the likes. :D

*Updated update*

Seems the original call was legit and so was the email, nice to know they know what they are talking about when you call them!

Anyway seems there were other transactions tried using the RBS secure route which luckily were also stopped, would have been well over 8 grand out of pocket if a stop hadnt been put to it.

Thing is my partner dosnt use her card online except for two well known highstreet shops, am begining to suspect it may have happened in a physical shop or cash machine on island.

Something to think about!

This is quite a good site for things like this

www.phonepayplus.org.uk

Will help you identify phone numbers and the costs of calling them.

I dunno if your bank is Lloyds, but I got a voicemail once for my ex-partner in a very similar vein to the original post. I googled the number and it seemed to scream scam to me too with all the forum posts and general negativity to it. Fortunately she actually worked for Lloyds so made her own internal enquiries and like you, found out it was a genuine call. Someone had cloned her card while on holiday and were buying all sorts.

That's not to say people should just hand out their info as and when any old person asks them, but at the very least you should call the bank back on a number you know to be theirs and confirm if there's a problem.

I've had this problem with cloning, too. You need to be extra vigilant, particularly abroad - do not let your credit/debit card out of your sight. These people can swipe it through a copy/clone machine under the counter, and you are none the wiser till you find that you are suddenly getting funds sucked out of your account for things that you never bought, in places that you haven't been near.

Unfortunately, my bank was not as vigillant as I think they should have been, and let quite a few fraudulent transactions through, although way outside my normal activity/area, and at times 2 or 3 in one day to the same outlet. Fortunately, all small amounts, and once I had spotted them on my statement, the bank was quite efficient at getting them wiped out/credited back, and getting me a new card.

Ooohh - after reading about this in the past I've just had a call from 'Digital Satellite' on my unlisted landline (so they must at least get a customer list from Sky or somewhere) telling me that my digibox insurance had run out.

When I pointed out to the scammy Scouser girl that I'd never had insurance, and that she was taking the piss, she became quite defensive but clearly was preparing to go to Script 6B when I cut short the call. The sound of a thousand other scamsters at fever pitch in the call centre behind her is still ringing in my head...

Ooohh - after reading about this in the past I've just had a call from 'Digital Satellite' on my unlisted landline (so they must at least get a customer list from Sky or somewhere) telling me that my digibox insurance had run out.

When I pointed out to the scammy Scouser girl that I'd never had insurance, and that she was taking the piss, she became quite defensive but clearly was preparing to go to Script 6B when I cut short the call. The sound of a thousand other scamsters at fever pitch in the call centre behind her is still ringing in my head...

Sounds like these lot Stu.

http://tinyurl.com/5zk9rb

I put a post up here a while back.

Archived