Wireless Network Laptop

Hi all I've just installed another router to try. I've got a laptop that keeps remembering the wpa of the other network connection and no matter how many times I put the new wpa in it just keeps defaulting back.

I've tried deleting the connection but that doesn't work.

Is there any way I can stop it remembering the old key.

The other lappys in the house were no problem.

Hi all I've just installed another router to try. I've got a laptop that keeps remembering the wpa of the other network connection and no matter how many times I put the new wpa in it just keeps defaulting back.

I've tried deleting the connection but that doesn't work.

Is there any way I can stop it remembering the old key.

The other lappys in house were no problem.

If you haven't already, change the SSID of your network (if set the same as your old router) - maybe the 'old' SSID is still being stored with the 'old' key somewhere??

When you search for the wifi network is there a list of options on the left and one of them is either settings or advanced settings?

Open that bastard up and adjust the wpa key in there, i can remember doing that for a mate but i cant remember what OS it was or if it was a dongle!

Hope you manage to fix it.

I tried that but still no joy. I've got 2 other laptops and a wireless desktop that worked no problem, the one that doesn't work is the one I use all the time.

Looks like I'll have to format it.

When you search for the wifi network is there a list of options on the left and one of them is either settings or advanced settings?

Open that bastard up and adjust the wpa key in there, i can remember doing that for a mate but i cant remember what OS it was or if it was a dongle!

I tried that but still no joy. I've got 2 other laptops and a wireless desktop that worked no problem, the one that doesn't work is the one I use all the time.

Looks like I'll have to format it.

Bit drastic, have you tried actually deleting your wireless device and then reinstalling it to see if that clears it out.

Bit drastic, have you tried actually deleting your wireless device and then reinstalling it to see if that clears it out.

Yep, I've tried that a ton of times mate.

Yep, I've tried that a ton of times mate.

Will it connect if you turn off the WPA security?

WEP isn't as secure but is more 'compatible' with different devices.

Remember WPA is case sensitive, sure it's not that? If you go into network connections and then right click on the wireless one > 'view available wireless networks', does it list the networks or say windows is unable to?

I've got it sorted now thanks, it didn't like the wpa at first for some reason. Touch wood it seems to be fine now.

Archived