Corkill 'was Misled' By Mea

Jimcalagon

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well at least as a major player at the time, he has given evidence.

He didn't do so at his wife's trial.

Probably something to do with a person not bing able to give evidence for/against their spouse or something, but I am not sure. Can anyone enlighten here?

Or has the forum 'put a line under' that particular peccadillo.

Richard Corkill has told a Tynwald select committee that the MEA misled him over their business and financial dealings.

Manx Radio Story

It seems he has a sorry history of people telling him porkies over their financial practices. Starting with his missus. :P

One can only hope that others in Ministerial positions have learned from this and now ensure that all deals are subject to proper financial scrutiny and open competition before contracts are let out, including comparison with similar projects elsewhere in the British Isles, that suppliers have been scrutinised for delivery of oter projects, that they are properly audited during implementation and that they contain appropriate penalty clauses...

Oh, was that the sound of pigs getting into line for take-off and a fly-past?

That Manx Radio story is very poorly written.

Grammatically it stinks. But more important like - in several key places it is not clear what it actually means. The person wot wrote it should be doing something else.

Richard Corkill has told a Tynwald select committee that the MEA misled him over their business and financial dealings.

Manx Radio Story

It seems he has a sorry history of people telling him porkies over their financial practices. Starting with his missus. :P

One can only hope that others in Ministerial positions have learned from this and now ensure that all deals are subject to proper financial scrutiny and open competition before contracts are let out, including comparison with similar projects elsewhere in the British Isles, that suppliers have been scrutinised for delivery of oter projects, that they are properly audited during implementation and that they contain appropriate penalty clauses...

Oh, was that the sound of pigs getting into line for take-off and a fly-past?

I await PK's accusations of being an apologist, but the PKF report reviewed something like 90% of the contracts by value and found no major issues with them.

There were penalty clauses - when Enron went bust the MEA successfully sued them and if I remember correctly was awarded £10 million for the breech of contract.

It will be interesting to see how the Enquiry continues - as far as I am aware the major issue is that the MEA just got on and did it without government approval. Tony Brown etc has said that IF government had been asked they would more than likely have approved of the boards actions - the MEA thought it was allowed to operate the way it did and did so. Treasury and the DTI thought it understood what the MEA were doing. Both were wrong.

I'd be very interested if there are any contemporary minutes of Mr Corkill's meetings - I wonder if he'd be willing to publish ALL the minutes of his meetings with the MEA board and/or executive about both the powerstation AND the Skyward project.

It would be very interesting to read those minutes. :ph34r:

Well, the downstream contracts may have been fine, and all at MEA hunky dory, but what is constantly being forgotten is that no matter how good your business decisions are, if you do not have the authority to enter into them, they are crap because there will be the issue of enforceability (which we have lived with for years now).

Also reading the minutes, while pedantically correct, will (if they had a half decent Co Sec) give an insight, they will probably not give the whole picture; that will have to be gleaned from the papers submitted to the board and surrounding correspondence.

I really do not know what this enquiry intends to achieve, far less what it will actually achieve. The MEA was an unholy mess, but we have much bigger energy issues facing us at the moment, it seems a little crass to spend so much time and money contemplating somebody else's navel ten years ago.

We have sorted out the Barclays conundrum, the rest is a blame exercise. Unless there is the slightest chance of those to blame being able to cough up enough assets to make a dent in the financial position of the MEA, I think it is a worthless exercise.

I think i've highlighted all the key words in that statement.

Just a general question regarding this issue!!

Does any professional person that is called to give evidence, get paid for doing so? If so do we know how much?

I wonder how much legal advice was given along the way?

We have sorted out the Barclays conundrum, the rest is a blame exercise. Unless there is the slightest chance of those to blame being able to cough up enough assets to make a dent in the financial position of the MEA, I think it is a worthless exercise.

Some possibly positive outcomes:

- You find the hole that allowed the loans and bloke it

- If anyone responsible acted improperly and are still in office, you bin em

- If someone's found to be criminally negligent, you take action against em to prevent it happening again

Archived