Corkill 'was Misled' By Mea

Jimcalagon

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That Manx Radio story is very poorly written.

Grammatically it stinks. But more important like - in several key places it is not clear what it actually means. The person wot wrote it should be doing something else.

If you want better reporting of the evidence to the Committee, go to manxherald.com where much fuller and comprehensive reporting takes place - of all the evidence sessions.

Not particularly easy to find them all on the site, but they are much more accurate and the reporter grasps the implications of what is being said.

I groaned when I saw pongo's comment - our reports are predominantly written to be voiced rather than read, and it sometimes shows - but I can't say I find anything smelly about the grammar or unclear about the story.

It says in 8 sentences what the papers will probably need a whole page to cover...admittedly in greater detail, but surely that's the difference between the output media.

And the person wot wrote it was probably doing a dozen other things, most to a looming deadline.

If you want better reporting of the evidence to the Committee, go to manxherald.com where much fuller and comprehensive reporting takes place - of all the evidence sessions.

Not particularly easy to find them all on the site, but they are much more accurate and the reporter grasps the implications of what is being said.

'ow about a [Manx Herald Newsbot]

Incidentally, does the Manx Herald report anything about missing skateboards or tell us not to put or heads in the fucken gas oven or anything?

I can't say I find anything smelly about the grammar or unclear about the story.

eg

Mr Profitt told him there was still £10 million left – but the authority had already borrowed an extra £70 million the government didn’t know about.

Mr Profitt really said that?

I often forget just how good that site often is. Thanks for the reminder.

Thanks for link to Manx Herald:

Having read the fuller report, the spectacle of a worm wriggling on a hook springs to mind. Corkills replies seem evasive, vague and without personal responsibility. I agree with an earlier poster, nothing will come of this, no one will be held to account and the financial imprudence and profligacy of the island will continue until public money runs out !

Surely you don't think they elect people for their competence?

as you point out the elections are more big brother type popularity poll based on the "he's a nice fella" or "he's related to" or "he's always very nice when I see him in the post office/chemists", you'd be hard pressed to find any member of keys or legco who has actually been successful in business or in a career or who has any real grasp of government and how it works when they get elected. Some have become successful career politicians but there's the rub, success really depends on hitting the previously mentioned 3 criteria once every 5 years so success in politics is measure by time in office not achievements.

Of course the former CM lost his seat, he really did goose his lot over the MEA and other alleged inappropriate actions, but was he inept or a victim of having chanced his arm to do something.

The former CM is someone who has an intense dislike of 'red tape.' This much I know from personal experience. Therefore, if he saw a potential shortcut that appeared to be safe, I'm sure he would have taken it.

WTF's suggestion that he (or anyone!) could make the present CM appear competent is utterly ridiculous.

The former CM is someone who has an intense dislike of 'red tape.' This much I know from personal experience. Therefore, if he saw a potential shortcut that appeared to be safe, I'm sure he would have taken it.

WTF's suggestion that he (or anyone!) could make the present CM appear competent is utterly ridiculous.

i was a bit optimistic, although i did say 'appear' rather than actually. the Don would appear to be the most sturdy CM we have had in ages and the fact that he was rushed in as a temporary measure when the inept bloke, who's wife stood up to take the blame for the fraud legged it shows what type of man was needed for the job. i'm not saying he was great, just the most suited from the available candidates as my blind deaf cat was not permitted to run for the post.

Richard Corkill has told a Tynwald select committee that the MEA misled him over their business and financial dealings.

Manx Radio Story

It seems he has a sorry history of people telling him porkies over their financial practices. Starting with his missus. :P

Reading the Manx Herald story a different emphasis is apparant.

They are reporting that Proffit told Corkill that the £10 million earmarked for windfarms "may be needed for gas infrastructure".

Thats interesting and goes to the heart of what was told to who and when.

Archived